seal gap between siding and vents/meters?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmqmqm

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

There is gap between the siding and vents and meters on the outside of the house. Please see enclosed pictures.

I actually saw a spider crawling into the gap at the vent.

Is it a good idea to seal the gaps? If so, what kind of sealant/caulk should I use?

Thanks a lot!

Paul

3.jpg

2.jpg

If I'm not mistaken those are just channels that the siding slips into. I don't think the spiders are going to get anywhere but inside the channel and that's not a big deal. However if you really have your mind set: I'd use an outdoor worthy caulking and get to work. You're going to have A LOT of caulking to do; under/at the end of/ each lap of siding.

Maybe if it's only spiders you're worried about you should get some sort of spray designed with them in mind?

Terry's first thought was right, you will never be able to plug all places like that and the house wrap behind the siding should stop bugs.

Terry's first thought was right, you will never be able to plug all places like that and the house wrap behind the siding should stop bugs.

That is if the installer put the siding on right. I see some really poor siding install jobs when I'm out and about with my job.
Neal is right though, if you've got the house wrap behind the siding, the bugs aren't going anywhere. Also, that is channel that you're pointing out. It simply is the "sliding point" for the siding to fit into. It doesn't go anywhere.

Thanks for the comments Terry and Neal!

Paul

Latest posts

Back