New to us Gas Stove

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedbump

Water well etc.
Reaction score
WE have a Vacation Rental on our property that had all the conveniences except a stove. We bought a three year old Propane stove and had it installed professionally. The burners all take from 4 to as much as 7-8 seconds to light. Is this normal??? The little igniter is going clickity clickity click 4 to 5 times per second, but it seems the gas is just not getting there fast enough.

The oven takes about 3 minutes to actually light. We can see the heating element turning red, but it doesn't seem it should take that long.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

WE have a Vacation Rental on our property that had all the conveniences except a stove. We bought a three year old Propane stove and had it installed professionally. The burners all take from 4 to as much as 7-8 seconds to light. Is this normal??? The little igniter is going clickity clickity click 4 to 5 times per second, but it seems the gas is just not getting there fast enough.

The oven takes about 3 minutes to actually light. We can see the heating element turning red, but it doesn't seem it should take that long.

Any ideas?

Thanks...
Did any body check the gas pressure, sounds like it too low. Are the burners adjustable? When the burners are going , they should not lift off the burner head. You can adjust they for higher flame as long as they don't lift. Is there air adjusters on the burners. There should be a name plate on the unit telling what the pressure should be. Paul

are you sure it is a propane stove? natural gas and propane take different orifice sizes. Also make sure they aren't clogged.

Hi,

Range make, model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html

2-5 seconds for the surface ignition is normal...more than that is not.
Oven hot saurface ignitor will need a min or two on it's initial start up and after that will normally fire up quicker ( 45 sec -1 min ). Hot surface ignitor must draw enough current to open the gas valve properly and to ignite the gas. They often get weak and this can cause delayed ignition.

jeff.

It was installed by the Propane dealer. I read the book last night and it agrees with you guys, 4 seconds for the burners to light. That's what the slowest one takes. It is a propane stove as the guy we bought it from brought it from up north to the park he moved to in Florida thinking they had propane. Turns out they had natural gas, so instead of converting it, he simply bought a new stove. I guess the only thing that is slower than normal is the oven. I timed it last night and it took 1 minute and 35 seconds to light.

Measure the current draw of the oven ignitor...

hot-surface-ignsheet.jpg

... http://www.applianceaid.com/gas.html#glow

jeff.

Thanks for the drawing. That puts it all into perspective.

Can I assume that since the oven lights but is slow that all the tests above will check out, which means that the ignitor is going bad?

Thanks Jeff, I'll get the amprobe out and give it a check.

If you get a chance, let us know what happens.

jeff.

With my little Amprobe junior (which I never thought was super accurate) I get three amps give or take a smidgen. Hard to get real close with it. I believe the big problem is me expecting it to be quicker since I've always been an electric customer and never gas before now. And then there's that safety issue, so slow is fine with me. I can take slow over blow!

Thanks Jeff...

3 is just enough....many flat ignitors are 3-3.6 amps.

Thankx for the update :)

jeff.

Latest posts

Back