Bamboo flooring still stinks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle

Reaction score
I got this stuff from Loews,
www.usfloorsllc.com/products/natural-bamboo-collection/why-natural-bamboo/

I've been airing out 5 boxes in the porch or 4 days with a fan and it still smells. I'm not sure what the smell is? They claim to have only .03% formaldehyde? It smells pungent but also like burnt grass? Is strandwoven bamboo suppose to smell like this? Do you think it will dissipate soon or should i just return it?

I used to be a funeral director. Formaldehyde burns the nostrils.

Is it lacquered?

It's aluminum oxide. Nice stuff, woven, looks like this
carbonized_strand_woven_bamboo_large.jpg

What do you think about cutting aluminium oxide and formaldehyde?
I have a good mask n95 from lowes too.

Have you stored it in the room that you will install it?
I don't think you will be exposed to much in a one install as a homeowner. If this was your everyday job it might be something to worry about. Where the mask.

I used to be a funeral director. Formaldehyde burns the nostrils.

Is it lacquered?

Wait..what? Is this from that time you stayed at the Holiday inn?

You can have the piece tested, just contact your local area health dept.

Nope I grew up in it. Did it for a year. Wasn't a fan of the late nights.

Well i return the lot, that was a waste of time. They had some new cafe bamboo by usfloor at lowes, so i check it out. It didn't stink! So i guess Neal was right it was a bad batch.
I got some cork, you can smell formaldehyde on it too. But it gasses off quick, i put a fan too it.

It wants to sit in the room for a few days before you use it. You do want to solve any leveling problems before you install it. I'm referring to the other thread.

Back