tub wont shut off

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeblo17

jack of a trade or 2
Reaction score
Dear Whoever Can Help me,
My mothers house has 2 tubs and both tubs the faucets don't leak they don't close period. If she doesn't shut off the main she has to empty 3 gallons in 10 minutes time. Both tub faucets have one knob that goes left and right to control hot and cold water and turn down to shut off. I am wondering if it is the stem and shut off valve that need to be changed and also is it a coincidence that both tubs are experiencing the same problem. Any and all suggestion are welcome. Mike. thanks again.:)

Mike;
You need to take the faucets apart and observe whether the parts fit well and move smoothly. Sometimes people will force the parts in a washerless faucet (so called) and the binding will cause leaks. While you have them apart you may want to buy new valve stems or at least o-rings for the existing ones. Put them back together without forcing and see if they work.
Glenn

Glenn,
I will give that a try I am on the way over there now. I am going to replace the valve stem and the O-ring if they are not already part of the stem. Thanks alot.
P.S. I will let you know. Mike. Thanks Again.

Back