redo the stairway

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azsxdcfv

Reaction score
I have been slowly remodleing my home. such as moving a couple walls, completley guting rooms. My last project was our upstairs bathroom. Now its on to the stairs. and im very stumped on how to do this project. I have to tear them all out no matter what cause it has a carpet on it that is glued to it and the woodworking has alot of brush stoke stain / paint look. i will try to set a visual. If you look from the side of the stairs you can see the stairs on witch you step on. I want to make it so you can't see the steps from the side, so pretty much wanna raise the wall up a little and still be able to a very nice railling on it. can anyone help me out on how to do this project? dont really want to call a contractor unless i really need to.

If you were leaving the stairs in place, you would remove all the wood that extends past the studs of the wall below. Add a short stud at the back of each tread, aprox. 13" with the top cut at the angle of the stairs and add a top plate.

Be sure to keep the stair width as is, if less than 36" finished: http://publicecodes.citation.com/icod/irc/2009/icod_irc_2009_3_sec011_par006.htm

Is there room next to them for a short raked wall? Nail the bottom plate down, add the studs- rough cut- to a little higher than the tread/riser tops, nailed to the stringers. Then lay a 2x4 on the tread nosings, draw the line on each stud, cut the studs (on the rake= +3" above the nosing), add the top plate, leaving room for the newal post at top and bottom. The height will be perfect for the wood pickets/rail on top the trimmed, drywalled, pony-wall.

Gary

sorry it took so long to respond. work has me on 14 hour days right now. currently the stair width is about 4ft

Latest posts

Back