Wood floor issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyH

Reaction score
I have a question about the oak floors in my home. The house was built in 1937 and the floors are original to the home. For some reason all of the floors in the house have a spotted appearance. The finish has taken on a crackled effect. I don't know if it's due to some sort of build up by cleaner from the previous owners, or incorrect application of a finish of some sort. It does not come up with ordinary finish remover.

Is anyone familiar with this? And is it possible to fix without sanding?
Thanks

Welcome to the Fourm, Amy:
The problem is likely caused by someone wet mopping the floors. If the wood is level and in good condition and only the finish is bad, you could use a stripper and do a sanding job with a commercial buffer.
The stirpper will do away with the waxes that may have built up on the wood, which would mess up the sanding. It sounds like the floor may be stained (for color, that is) which will persent more of a problem. Try one room and, if it doesn't work out right, you may have to hire a professional.
Glenn

Back