Bermuda grass taking over St Augustine grass

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3144fultonhouse

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been battling an issue with Bermuda grass that is taking over my St Augustine grass. New construction home and Taylor Morrison did not quality control the sod used so I am having and issue with Bermuda grass that I want to kill off.

I have tried pulling it up which works for the moment but not really a practical solution. I also used Fertilome Weed & Feed for St Augustine (Floratam safe) in hopes that would kill it. This particular brand states not to use on Bermuda grass...but it did not do the trick.

Has anyone had any luck with removing Bermuda grass from St Augustine? Any thoughts/comments are welcome...I am totally open to ideas!

Thanks in advance

The bad news is that bermuda grass is difficult to control and there is no chemical magic that will kill bermuda without harming the St. Augustine as well. One non-chemical measure you can take to encourage the St. Augustine and discourage the bermuda is to set your mower blade level to a high, e.g., 3 -3 1/2 inches. The taller growing St. Augustine will shade the bermuda and will then have an advantage over the bermuda grass which thrives best in the sun.

The bad news is that bermuda grass is difficult to control and there is no chemical magic that will kill bermuda without harming the St. Augustine as well. One non-chemical measure you can take to encourage the St. Augustine and discourage the bermuda is to set your mower blade level to a high, e.g., 3 -3 1/2 inches. The taller growing St. Augustine will shade the bermuda and will then have an advantage over the bermuda grass which thrives best in the sun.

Thanks for the response. I did some research and found that info a while back but it seemed not to work. WELL....here is the catch! The Bermuda was actually somewhat killed off by the Fertilome Weed and Feed. On the west side of my home I have another grass problem that the lawn maintenance company gave me bad advice on (Heron).

The grass that is trying to take over is Alexander grass aka Creeping Signal grass. After speaking with that company that handles my place of employment and point that same "grass" out to them they told me what it was and how to get rid of it. It seems that St Augustine is a pain and pricey to get grassy weeds out of. I was advised to try baking soda mixture as well as herbicides Celsius and/or Asulox.

Any thoughts on this?

Links I found more info on after being told what my actual probem is...

http://faculty.valenciacollege.edu/tklenk/botany/weeds/weeds.htm

https://etindallturfgrass.wordpress...eeping-signal-grass-in-central-florida-lawns/

Back