My Roof Repair Project Has Begun - Phase 1 The Pergola

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off topic, the reference to "miners meat" is from an episode of Gold Rush when Dakota Fred identified spam as such and with the explanation that if you slice it thin enough and cook it long enough, it almost tastes like bacon.

Well, my chisels arrived today.
after banging out the outline for the hole to be made, I don't think I'll be finishing it with chisels.
I have lost most of the vision in my right eye due to glaucoma.
My closeup depth perception is not what it used to be.
Even though they have guards on them, I don't trust myself to not smash my hand with that 4# maul.
Looks as if I'll be jumping for that El Cheapo Chinese "rotary hammer drill" from Amazon.
I'll get it ordered tomorrow.

My father picked up a taste for spam during his WWII military time.
The locals here and on other Pacific Islands also picked up a liking for it during the same period.
I have eaten it on very rare occasions. But, only when backed into a corner, eat it or starve.

Before moving here to Hawai'i, I had lived in Alaska for almost 35 years.
I moved there after throwing the last of my kids out the door.
I had spent many years as a sub contractor working bush jobs.
I was never forced to have to eat spam on any of those jobs.
They always feed the help good in the bush.
Although, the housing could be a bit iffy.
Spam is not something that would be tolerated.
Now, a cheap-a$$ed miner could probably live on spam, beans and fish ducks and be quite happy with it.

OK, the rotary drill - hammer arrived yesterday.
I put it to work today.
I am very happy with it.
It did the job very nicely and quickly.
In about 20 minutes I drilled 13 or 14 ea 12mm holes around the anchor, then used the spade bit to open it up and deepen the hole until the anchor loosened up and fell over.

I think the greatest problem with it is that it is Chinese made, with very poor quality control in the manufacturing.
Many of the bad reviews and ratings were probably due to this.
But, there were still many good reviews from people that were impressed by it.
If you get a good one. It is worth having.
If you don't, return it or send it back for a replacement.
I also think another factor in the poor reviews and ratings is people that simply do not know how to properly use power equipment and blame it on the tool.

Gotta go to town tomorrow to get the epoxy concrete filler to put the new anchor in with.
------------------------------------------------------------

I make no apology for my attitude expressed here and in other threads.
But, I will explain it.
I have lived most of my life as a 135# hyperactive, slowly increasing my weght to 155# as I entered my 6o's. In the last 15 years my weight has climbed more quickly to about 170#. I still eat like an adolescent.
That has paid off for me in that I still get around better than most people 20 years younger than myself.
Taking risk has always been a part of my work and my play. For ove 45 years, I paddled class 4 and 5 whitewater like many people do pushups. For over 30 years I climbed [hiked?] mountains in the winter to ski 3-pins back down 2k' or more, again like doing pushups. Avalanche assessment was a very important part of that. I worked as a diver for about 15 years. I've fished in the Bering Sea for about 10 years. I am no stranger to taking risks.

I do not deal well with people trying to tell me to be careful and trying to tell me how to go about it. I have very little patients in dealing with them.

For me, it entails getting right up, close and personal with it. Then, deciding how it needs to be dealt with. I do not listen to what others have to say on the matter. Plus, they're rarely as proficient at dealing with the situations as I am. My attitude is for my use only. My attitude would probably be dangerous for most other people. But, it has always worked for me. Nothing is going to change me on this subject now.

No one gets out of this alive - Quality of life is more important than longevity - When skill fails you, luck is even better. words that I live by.
I seem to have my cake and be eating it too, and will until I choke on it.

Last edited:
I finally made some visible progress on this project today. Got the post and anchor tie installed a few days ago.

The post has been epoxied on the bottom 6". I didn't use the epoxy anchor cement. I went with a regular anchoring cement, cost less than a tube of the epoxy. Plus, I still, have almost a full tub left over for another project, installing a surveillance camera down along the driveway. I think the roto-hammer can be used to drill the hole into the lava rock for it also.

Also, I finished epoxying the rafters, painted them, and lifted them into place.

The plan is to fine tune their spacing, screw them into place, and install the roof panel closure strips tomorrow. But then, we know how my plans go. Slowly but surely progress is being made.

Side note:
I picked up a Wagner Flexio 890 paint sprayer while I was building the cabinets in the garage. I used it to spray stain and polyurethane to finish the cabinets. I've just used it to apply the thick Behr exterior paint on the post and rafters. I'm really happy with its performance when applying all three finishes.

Last edited:
Thanks nealtw,
I've mentioned elsewhere that I have been a hyperactive most of my life. But, my metabolism has been slowing down the last couple of decades. Even so, I still have a very short attention span. That's the reason I have many projects going at once, a very long list of things begun, but now on hold so I can work on something else.

M'Lady's jabbing me in the butt finally got me stirred up to get more done on this one. Getting those rafters up into place makes the pergola look to be getting near to being completed. That is also motivating me to get it done and finished.

Thanks nealtw,
I've mentioned elsewhere that I have been a hyperactive most of my life. But, my metabolism has been slowing down the last couple of decades. Even so, I still have a very short attention span. That's the reason I have many projects going at once, a very long list of things begun, but now on hold so I can work on something else.

M'Lady's jabbing me in the butt finally got me stirred up to get more done on this one. Getting those rafters up into place makes the pergola look to be getting near to being completed. That is also motivating me to get it done and finished.

Well as long as a job is not finished, you can still claim it will be perfect when done.:thbup:

Nice progress and looking good :thbup:

I was always a 'wide-open runner' kind of person who few could keep up with, but now my age is showing and now I get frustrated and disappointed in myself over how long it takes me to get things finished. I miss that part of youth but at least I can still 'cut the mustard' well enough to keep pace wit the rest of the world. My solution to the huge list of unfinished projects has been to clean my plate of the things which really don't matter, either letting someone else handle them or simply abandoning them since they were wants and not needs. It's how I cope and has reduced my feelings of stress quite a bit. As long as the needs are handled I'll get by and I'll never stop even if I must slow down. When I do stop completely you'll see my name in that day's obituary column :cool:

Phil

Back