Ventless Range Hood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxHomeowner

Reaction score
Is there any possible way to vent a range hood into a garage and satisfy codes? I've done without permission before but with this new really expensive hood the installation company refused. The darn way our home is constructed prevents conventional vertical or horizontal venting. Really hate to have this $400+ hood vented back into the house.

Also, any device that you know of that can clean the air in addition to the two charcoal filters if I must vent inside?

Thanks

The problem with the garage is the garage wants to be sealed from the house so auto off gasses don't have a free run into living area.
You can run the duct thru the garage to an exterior wall in a drop or box that is sealed.

The problem with the garage is the garage wants to be sealed from the house so auto off gasses don't have a free run into living area.
You can run the duct thru the garage to an exterior wall in a drop or box that is sealed.
This would require a 45degree turn then a run of about 10 to 12 feet then exit through a brick wall. Would the horizontal exit for the hood transition into a round duct? Would that long run need a inline fan? I image the exit through the brick would be detail oriented and expensive.

Is all of the above possible and worth the expense compared to venting inside. We rarely cook. By the way. the hood is a 2017 Broan BCDJ130WH. My wife considers our kitchens our lovely galley kitchen her show kitchen. Been married 39 years.

No that is not to far for the fan, You rent a hole say for cutting brick, run the duct and build a simple frame around it, drywall it and tape and fill the joints.
One weekend, a couple hundred dollars.

No that is not to far for the fan, You rent a hole say for cutting brick, run the duct and build a simple frame around it, drywall it and tape and fill the joints.

Good morning Neal,
re 'not to far for the fan'? Do you mean a second fan will be needed? Unfortunately, the work would have to be hired out. What price then?

Thanks

No extra fan.
The right handyman, a few hundred.

Or HVAC guy to install the pipe
Carpenter to build the box
Drywaller to close it up

1000 - 1500 ???

My microwave/range hood pushes the air out through the attached garage up to the ceiling and in outside by going above the laundry room ceiling. Total distance of 8" round duct is 12-13 feet long with 2 90 degree bends. The vent fan has no problem pushing the flapper open on the hood on the outside of my house so we have plenty of air flow carrying the cooking heat, smoke and water vapors out of the house.

Last edited:
Good morning Neal,
re 'not to far for the fan'? Do you mean a second fan will be needed? Unfortunately, the work would have to be hired out. What price then?

Thanks

BTW if you are pumping air out of the house, you will also have to consider make up air. We don't want to suck air from the garage.

Broan offers 'make-up air kits" as an option.

However, at $1000 to $1500 duct installation cost, how many times can you wash and/or replace the $30 set of charcoal filters?

Broan offers 'make-up air kits" as an option.

However, at $1000 to $1500 duct installation cost, how many times can you wash and/or replace the $30 set of charcoal filters?
I've already purchased the charcoal filters for our vent hood. Btw, the new 2017 Broan is model BCDJ130WH. It has a motor on both the right and left side. We ordered it from Lowes for $405 plus $90 installation. Should be here around July 10. Should we buy an extended warranty?

http://www.broan.com/products/product/2e75dbaf-d2b4-4d23-a4d2-5e9826234fd9

Last edited:
BROAN/NUTONE has a long reputation of long service products and the product has a 1yr. warranty already.

I would not, because the product is easily serviceable and any parts are readily available.

Should we buy an extended warranty?
]

That is one of my favorite topics.

We hear reports from time to time where people have had good or bad experience with them.
We never hear how many people never file a claim.
So maybe some will try to cheat there way out of paying for things, hopefully that the majority are happy to pay for repairs.

My argument is that those good companies are betting that most of the products will give no problem for the life of the warranty.

So when I choose to not buy one or any, I am betting that most of the products will last that same amount of time.

So if or when I get stuck with a lemon, hopefully it will cost me less than all those warranties that I never bought.:)

Extended warranties can...like I said, can be a value. You have to remember, they are high profit items for mfgs.

For a range hood unless the extended warranty was $2.95 I wouldn't bother. Beyond the mark-up for the complete product the most expensive bit is the housing, not the motor or switches. Extended warranties may have their place, but I generally won't buy one for anything other than a cell phone. And for those I'd go to Square Trade.

Back