where to get reliable contractors for bathroom countertop?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gghrt000

Reaction score
i had posted here long time ago, about a year or two ago, did bought a countertop paint kit and did the work. It is looking miserable now, discolored and peeled off. I said f* it, I am just going to replace entire countertop along with sink and faucet.

Went to ikea today, for kitchen they can refer to contractors they work with but for bathroom they dont have one yet although working on one. Since I decided to have the bathroom countertop and sink first, looks like I need to do my own legwork.

My preference and reliable one, at reasonable price with no hassle. Where about to go for a local ones? Is there nationwide chain with local branches? I'd prefer to pretty solid review and feedback at a cost of little bit more.

Based on ikea estimate, the contractors installation, estimate and finish up charge could possible run around 200$ for each bathroom and kitchen give it or take some.

Since everyone's place is unique including mine, I am looking lot of compatbility issues with how current one is designed vs. what is available in ikea. Therefore, I'd need to bring 'em to ikea and look around together. Will any place do that??
Thanks!

Why bother with Ikea? I think all the big boxes have a contractor list. I know Lowes & HD do. But you can ask your neighbors for a recommendation. Or look in the Yellow Pages or even the local newspaper. The national chains don't have any magic contractors.

Good luck finding a real contractor that's going to have the time to hang out at Ikea with you and then install it for $200.00, time is money.
In most cases installing a countertop is a simple DIY job using simple common tools, why not DIY?

Good luck finding a real contractor that's going to have the time to hang out at Ikea with you and then install it for $200.00, time is money.
In most cases installing a countertop is a simple DIY job using simple common tools, why not DIY?
how much am I looking at it in a ballpark figure? That is the amount Ikea gus told me. Memory is trickling to come back, I do remember going to Home Depot and they referrred to their contractor but then i got slapped in the face when calling their contractor, them saying "we dont do just bathroom countertop, we have to do entire kitchen and bathroom remodel"!!! It was really sloppy referral from home depo.

too busy, already lot of stuff on my plate. But I will look, any good DIY youtube and/or URL I can use?

Stone work guys here charge by the sq. ft. and have a min. sq ft. That is just a nice way of saying we don't do small jobs. If we hunt around we find someone that has pieces left over from bigger jobs and a bathroom job helps move that inventory.

You first need to decide what material you want, then what style of sink will fit and then what faucet you want.

Then you can find local vendors here;http://www.thebluebook.com

i am considering another direction, putting a tile over existing countertop. Replacing countertop and finding contractors,... just make me cringe. Quick googling found this video on putting tiles on existing countertop on laminate countertop. IT continues to say it can be done on any existing countertop. I think mine is wooden. I am completely noob on this but this job looks much better easier than replacing existing one.

http://www.ronhazelton.com/projects/how_to_lay_ceramic_tile_on_a_laminate_countertop

when transcribed from this video, assuming if i go ahead, needs following. The only think i dont like is fiberglass re-inforced paper due to its certain properties' similarity to asbestos:

http://www.ronhazelton.com/projects/how_to_lay_ceramic_tile_on_a_laminate_countertop

for laminate floors:
- specially designed adhesive over laminate countertop
- then fiberglass reinforced paper (i dont like fiberglass any substitute?)
- mortar for over separation paper (need to know what separation paper is named).
tiles (beautiful ones)
- spacers for straigh and corner edges
- tile grout after putting tiles

Tools:
v-knot 8-inch sawtooth trowel for adhesive
notch trowel for mortar
rubber float for grouting

Fiberglass and asbestos are not even in the same geographical realm of similarities.

There are pullman tops that have integral sinks, and simply require some adhesive, a faucet and a drain.

Tha variety ranges from cultured marble to mfg. composites.

What are exact name for pullman tops? Googling finds some weird stuff. I wonder if for wooden tops, the insulation is required.

You ask by material, IE., cultured marble, granite. soapstone, ETC.

I don't get it at all what you said, looking for other suggestions.

I don't get it at all what you said, looking for other suggestions.

Follow the individual links; cultured marble vanity top
bathroom vanity tops
custom vanity tops
granite vanity tops
soapstone bathroom vanity tops

They are also available from all of the big boxes and most hdwr. stores.

You can find a local contractor/vendor at the link in post #7.

Back