Plumbing review

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the vent is close to the kitchen window, doesn't it make sense vent gasses could get in the kitchen? Right? If you push the vent through the roof, all gasses will go above and away from the window. This will take a hole saw and the proper vent flashing then you have to put it in ...

Here is a starter to show you the process...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjXA9gSCQQ8[/ame]

not good. The vent should have been hooked up right after the trap and gone out the roof.

Other may help here but I think you could put in a cheater valve that allows air in but stops the gases from coming out. You cut in a tee and place this thing up beside the sink in the cupboard.

5694d1158899561-air-admittance-valve-2-traps-imgp1443.jpg

I have recommended the Air Admittance Valve previously. They work.

As to the placement of the vent ... I agree but he may be getting vent gasses through the window too. Have you ever done a vent that stopped under the overhang? Nope.

Between your recommendation and mine, I think we have covered the bases, yes?

If he puts in the stuter valve for the kitchen, can he then run a vent for the laundry back to the stack in the basement and do away with the pipe outside.

The window is an awning type tends to get the air from the bellow, also doesn't get opened that much because of the furnace exhaust near by.

The trap from the sink is just above there to the right. Could i put in a T then a pipe over to the vent and another T connection?
Or better to put the T in then a piece of pipe then the Air Admittance Valve going up?

Last edited:
I was thinking you could do something like this and pick up the other vent in the basement and run them over to the big stack, but thats a wet vent and I don't know the rules on that.
The vent outside still delivers flamable gas to the area under the eaves.

FH03OCT_ISLANSI_01.JPG

In that case there is cabinet.

I can just connect the sink drain pipe, after the trap, straight across to the vent pipe with another T connection?

The trap for the sink is bellow the floor in the basement just there. There was no room with the garborator above. I think it is called branch ventilation pipe.
secondaryventilated.jpg

Last edited:
"The soil stack should continue up through the roof to ventilate to the atmosphere. "
It can go to the left about 4 feet then up on past the roof on the side?

That sounds like it would work, I would like to know what others think. If you could go back to the big pipe in the basement and maybe do away with the pipe outside.

Hi. I'm new here but I saw this thread and had a few questions.
In the picture here:

Is the pipe that is running horizontally off to the right the vent pipe? Or is that something else?
If it is a vent pipe, doesn't it need to travel vertically for at least 6 inches above the flood level of the highest fixture before moving horizontally?

For the washing machine drain, I found this diagram that has the proper measurement ranges. I can't tell if the one in the picture falls within those parameters.
tumblr_n62q5oltZD1qkwd9ao1_400.gif

For sanitary tees, I thought that they could not be installed horizontally-- or does that just mean that one of the sweeps has to be vertical? For some reason I thought it had to be setup so that the straight entry point was up.
2004-11-17_sanitary%20fittings_w550.JPG

That looks like the position of the sanitary tee in the first picture of the first post

Or is that a wye? I still haven't quite learned to tell the fittings apart just yet.

I have the same situation with a vent that terminates under a soffit. I have one main vent stack and two auxiliary vents. One of the auxiliary vents routes under the soffit and then has elbows to bring it out from under and then go above the roof. For some reason the other one does not do that. I wonder if having the elbows meets code...

As for the AAV, they are not allowed in all states. Last I read, California was trying to ban them.

I hope you get the sewer gas smell resolved.

Last edited:
Good eye, Sannej, a straight San-T could be a problem. This looks like it performs like a Wye if you observe the fitting above the San-T. The preferred use is the vertical but field limitations cause all kinds of compromises ... I believe this is one of those situations.

I thought that the sanitary tee in that position is actually a code violation. I know the change of direction is a code violation.

So in addition to turning the fitting the other way, maybe they would need to replace it with a wye and bend or the sanitary combo fitting shown in the sketch above?

Also, do I see an electrical outlet (maybe GFCI) or junction box just dangling? LOL. I hope that is just temporary.

I've been studying the plumbing code. I think I'll have to take a crack at studying the electrical code once I feel I've gotten a decent grip on plumbing knowledge.

The more times you look at these pictures the more you think Jungle should just cut it out and start over. But the problem complained about was sewer gas leaking into the house, which could be the vent outside the kitchen. What it looks like to me is the outside vent is servicing the washing machine and there is no vent servicing the sink up stairs unless there is something we haven't seen yet. With out that vent it is easy to see why the sink trap would vacume out the water from the trap.

The more times you look at these pictures the more you think Jungle should just cut it out and start over. But the problem complained about was sewer gas leaking into the house, which could be the vent outside the kitchen. What it looks like to me is the outside vent is servicing the washing machine and there is no vent servicing the sink up stairs unless there is something we haven't seen yet. With out that vent it is easy to see why the sink trap would vacume out the water from the trap.

Good point. I'm also wondering what the sort of louvered white thing on the left is in this picture:
6637d1401882561-plumbing-review-abc_1422.jpg

Is that something that brings air in to the house? If so, then the sewer gas could be going in to it.

I wish I could find my photo of how one of my vents goes around the soffit... I think that is what needs to be done in this case-- making sure that it maintains the 1/4" per foot incline.

I'm also now noticing that the hole where the vent pipe comes out of the wall is rather large and doesn't look like its sealed up and it looks like it might have an ABS elbow, but I can't tell for sure. I wonder what the green thing coming out of the wall is.. Looks sort of like a garden hose. I think that mounted thing on the wall is to hold a hose...

Latest posts

Back