Flagstone Patio Dry & Wet combined?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedBaron

Reaction score
I have a area I want to put in a patio on top of a retaining wall would like to have flagstone all the way to the end. Can you mortar down the outside row of flagstone to the retaining wall and leave the rest dry laid in sand? Retaining wall is two foot thick concrete wall, not worried to much about movement

Also would like to have steppable/green joints, could joints be left ungrouted at mortared area or would the growth rip up the flagstone to quickly?

I have a area I want to put in a patio on top of a retaining wall would like to have flagstone all the way to the end. Can you mortar down the outside row of flagstone to the retaining wall and leave the rest dry laid in sand? Retaining wall is two foot thick concrete wall, not worried to much about movement

The assumption being your interest in addressing hydrology, so to establish a stable base you'll need to compact and consolidate the sand, and since you will be creating a walking surface and depending upon the height of the retaining wall, consider a hand rail.

Also would like to have steppable/green joints, could joints be left ungrouted at mortared area or would the growth rip up the flagstone to quickly?

Not generally, but that would depend upon the type of ground cover you are planting.

Instead of mortar, you might want to try landscape adhesive. I would also try to have a clean break between the edging and the rest of the surface, as sometimes (often) settling can be an issue. I am assuming that green joints refers to grass or moss or something similar. I don't think you would have much luck growing that on top of a concrete wall. It would probably wash out on occasion.

Back