door threshold finish

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokosz

Reaction score
tiled a bath, oak strip in the hallway.
I took a piece of mahogany, planed it down (in various dimensions to match the level tile on one side and the sagging hallway on the other). Now I'd like to finish it. I like tung oil - but that doesn't seem a good choice on traffic pieces.
Don' care for PolyUre -- can't really say why except it seems cheap (and I remember it peeling after a number of years.)
I'm leaning toward a to the glossy side for shine (but not hurt my eyes reflective)
Is PolyU the best choice or is there something anyone here'd recommend?

thanks!

tiled a bath, oak strip in the hallway.
I took a piece of mahogany, planed it down (in various dimensions to match the level tile on one side and the sagging hallway on the other). Now I'd like to finish it. I like tung oil - but that doesn't seem a good choice on traffic pieces.
Don' care for PolyUre -- can't really say why except it seems cheap (and I remember it peeling after a number of years.)
I'm leaning toward a to the glossy side for shine (but not hurt my eyes reflective)
Is PolyU the best choice or is there something anyone here'd recommend?

thanks!

It depends also, on the number of traffiers.

There are a number of flooring finishes similar to D&E Tuff floor.

I prefer to every so often, mask mine off and apply a coat of varathane.

Not even I, am maintenance free.

Polyurethane isn't going to peel as long as it is applied correctly. You can get it in high-gloss or low-gloss. And if you really want a soft finish, you can oil-sand the last coat with a very fine sandpaper.

Back