Moisture in basement?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snagglepuss

Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying a five-year-old house. The basement is unfinished.

I'm worried about dampness in the basement concrete foundation.

A home inspector took a look at our basement, and said that he detected no mildew. He also detected no evidence of past leaks.

However, I can see discoloration / stains / lines on the concrete foundation. Here is a picture:

5946894110_a307f88fb2.jpg

See a larger image here.

Our real estate agent believes that this is normal, and the result of condensation, and that we need not worry.

Judging by the pictures, does this look "normal"? Or is there a problem with our concrete basement foundation?

Thanks.

Your inspector is correct. Looks like the discoloration from where the wooden forms where located when they poured the concrete.
That still does not mean there is no water.
Owning a home is an ongoing process,
Make sure your gutter leaders always go at least 5 feet away from the foundation, and the soil is always sloped away from the concrete.

And seach our forums on the correct way to finish a basement, stay away from cellulose based materials and fiberglass in the walls.
Always install a dehumidifier for the basement in the summer if you do not have A/C.
:welcome: and have fun.

Water leaks often show up with white crystals on the surface as the water brings chemincals out of the concreat. Keep an eye out for concrete that has been wire brushed.

Back