Basement water leakage problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpm18

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first home about a year ago. I'm not the most handy of people but I was hoping to get ideas on how to best handle a problem that has sprung up recently.

After periods of significant rainfall, I have been seeing small amounts of water seep between the basement tiles. I first noticed this last fall but after some recent springtime rains, it has occurred again.

It seems to only occur in one corner of the basement. What will happen is the floor looks dry but when you step on a tile, little bits of water seep up between the tiles. This most recent time this has occurred, I also noticed there is a small spot on the floor where a small amount of water is sitting on the tile.

When I had my home inspected prior to buying it, the inspector pointed out that at some places around the house the dirt is a little low right up against the house. The corner that is having the water problems is one of the spots that could use more dirt. This is my first plan of action, to raise up the dirt near the house to discourage water flow towards the house. Is there any other steps I should consider in addition to this?

Route the gutter spouts further away from the foundation, and check to see that they are draining correctly in the first place.
Also, call your inspector for further info, they saw the place first hand and should give free advice about what to do. And if they don't , we are always here to help.:)

I recently purchased my first home about a year ago. I'm not the most handy of people but I was hoping to get ideas on how to best handle a problem that has sprung up recently.

After periods of significant rainfall, I have been seeing small amounts of water seep between the basement tiles. I first noticed this last fall but after some recent springtime rains, it has occurred again.

It seems to only occur in one corner of the basement. What will happen is the floor looks dry but when you step on a tile, little bits of water seep up between the tiles. This most recent time this has occurred, I also noticed there is a small spot on the floor where a small amount of water is sitting on the tile.

When I had my home inspected prior to buying it, the inspector pointed out that at some places around the house the dirt is a little low right up against the house. The corner that is having the water problems is one of the spots that could use more dirt. This is my first plan of action, to raise up the dirt near the house to discourage water flow towards the house. Is there any other steps I should consider in addition to this?

How old is the home? Do you have a modern gutter system, or do you have downspouts that go directly into the ground?

I had the exact same problem with water seeping in in the two corners where the downspouts go into the ground... I'm assuming whatever drainage system they used in 1952 was clogged/broke, and wasn't making it to the storm drain.

I cut the downspouts and redirected the water above ground using splash pads. Haven't had a drop of water in the basement since!

Back