solid core vinyl siding saves energy

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John7447

Reaction score
Anybody looking to reside there home should look into solid core siding some have an R value of 5.It also will hold up to high winds we have been installing it for over 8 years holds up better then hollow siding.

I'm sorry, but that is a misleading statement. R-5 insulating is a probability, however it is installed loosely and cannot give much value. Water and Wind gets behind it, and heat goes around it. Installing a foam layer underneath does much more for your home.
I applaud you for getting folks to buy better materials, but being a salesman is not for this forum.

Right - See my sig. ;) - Oh I do like it for its rigidity. My fav is cement siding these days.

Anybody looking to reside there home should look into solid core siding some have an R value of 5.It also will hold up to high winds we have been installing it for over 8 years holds up better then hollow siding.
I can't remeber seing hollow core, I would think you would have to have some kind of foam in there to make the panels a little more rigid. I agree thinking this will give you a r-value thats worth anything is the wrong.

Hollow vinyl siding installed over fan fold insulation has an R value of 1.Most installers still using this out dated vinyl siding just nail fan fold insulation over old siding and install hollow vinyl siding.Installing solid core vinyl siding house must be stripped,house wrap installed.Some solid core vinyl siding has a R value of 5 and a perm value of 5.You really should look at both products to see if you think there is value in the solid core siding.IspectorD says I am misleading saying R value of 5,well solid core vinyl siding is Energy Star rated.Fan fold insulation is not rated Energy STAR.

my hose has vinyl siding on it now its about fourteen years old. i live in an area where my house is not sheltered from the wind and parts of the siding are blowing off. if i replace with solid core siding would this help or will i still have this problem.

That is what this was originally manufactured for. Go ahead, however it costs more than double for this siding, ..in case you are in shock.:rolleyes:

If you are a" do it your self" home owner the materials maybe twice the cost of the cheapest vinyl siding but not a good grade.If you hire someone for this job the cost should be about 35% more, not double.The right way to install vinyl siding the house must be striped and house wrap installed.

Back