Board Games

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A huge fan of Cluedo and Monopoly. I think I'll be playing them for a long time.

Monopoly and Life should be required learning in grade five and then council the kids on how to shape their education.

Monopoly and Life should be required learning in grade five and then council the kids on how to shape their education.

Y'know, I've always thought that games would be one of the best ways to teach kids how to think, learn and problem solve by strategizing.

Once I went with my son to the Space Center in Houston. On the bus ride over I asked if anyone wanted to play a car game. My son's best friend say's, "No, no, no... they play hard car games."

I took it as a compliment rather than just being outed as an uncool nerd.

We used to look forward to being allowed to play adult games. The kids today are happy to see the adults are busy so they can go do their own thing. Thats why some of this stuff has to be brought into schools as well as computers.

I agree. Monopoly taught me how to negotiate.

I found a log I'm going to turn into a Mancala table. I'll start production this weekend and keep you guys posted.

I just read thru this thread and it brought back some fond memories of youth. We played Monopoly night and day and nicknamed it “monotony”. Our variation was to use two boards with double cards and properties and join the boards into a figure 8. The normal 4 hour game turned into a marathon game when doubled.

I just heard the other day they added new pieces and took away others. Everyone wanted to be the race car and no one wanted the iron I do remember that.

The replaced the iron with a cat. I would still rather be the iron. I'm the gun from my Clue set when I play Monopoly.

I sawed that log in half, not any good, so I'm heading out to a friends house to take a look at some of his fallen logs.

Drill, the sand it out. I'm going to make then a couple of inches deep. I'm going to decide the number of cups after I find the log I'm going to use. My wife has a ton of sealant and varnish left over from her last project, so I'm thinking this is going to be an outdoor table.

Before anyone ask, yes my wife refinishes furniture for fun. She'd been doing it for years and loves it.

I'll give it a try. I' still looking for a log to use. All of the fallen logs around me are eaten up by insects or looks terrible.

I think that's the route I'm going to have to go. I wanted to find local wood and produce a few of these for friends and family. If I have to buy the wood though that could make the difference in how many I try to make.

I have a cabinet shop that I get all my "project" wood at.
They always have some scrap walnut, gancaloave or a nice tigermaple.
Just show up and ask around the smaller shops.
You may even make some new friends.:D

I'll have to look up some local shops. Thanks for the advice!

I'll check them out. I'm headed the opposite direction this weekend, and there's a shop by my inlaws I'm going to check out, but if they don't have what I'm looking for I'll head down to San Antonio.

I'm trying to remember something for a project my son is working on.

It's a card game that plays on selfishness.

It goes something like this:

You both have a red card and a green card and maybe another color card, I can't remember.

If you each give each other a green card you both get the same number of points.

If one gives a red and one gives a green, the red giver gets points but the green giver loses points.

If you both give red you both lose points.

You have a set number of exchanges perhaps.

I can't remember if this is all or if there is another color that factors in.

Anybody have a source on this?

I think I learned it in psychology or somewhere.

Back