Quality of Online Retailers for brand name products?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amgdjp

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am really hoping to find a good answer to this question! I'm in the midst of a moderate sized home addition which includes a bathroom redo. Our builder expects us to order our bath products (sinks, faucets, tub, etc) from a local bath supply store at full retail. I am finding that I can search for these exact products on ebay or other online realtors for almost half the price. Is there a hidden difference in quality of these items, even if the model numbers are exactly the same? Who can explain the huge price difference between a kohler sink on ebay and the same sink on the kohler website? Any advice would be so, so greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have to go with the same theme. Having been a builder for 20years and a home inspector...I see a lot.
When you get the supplies from the local distributor ..you get customer service, the correct parts that fit with the parts you ordered...and someone to yell at. ;)

When you go the other route...you get a lot less responsibility on their end. Your builder may have to wait for the correct parts to get there when the ones you ordered don't work...same model #'s and all.
I have seen it firsthand , and the customer does not like when we pull out of the job for 2 weeks because we are waiting on their problem . There are always jobs which need to be started after yours, this creates a stress factor for both the builder and yourself ...one you don't need.
My opinion is from the other side of the fence.

You get what you pay for. :D

Good luck with your addition.

Back