How to properly tape this room off to spray paint the ceiling?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
I have a paint sprayer. How exactly do I tape off all the walls and floor? What materials and technique?

1122171105a.jpg

1130171535.jpg

Finish your floor repairs first. Once all the dirty work is done, buy the cheap plastic and tape the edge right next to the ceiling, then go to town.

Finish your floor repairs first. Once all the dirty work is done, buy the cheap plastic and tape the edge right next to the ceiling, then go to town.

Lol. The concrete is filled in. All floor repairs are done. I just need to finish some drywall work before it's ready to paint.

When you say "next to" the ceiling, do you mean under the ceiling? Is there a good picture I could Google?

If you are doing the ceiling first why worry about the walls?

Show us a picture of the sprayer you plan on using.

No way would I go to all the trouble of all the prep time, and clean up, to paint a single ceiling with a sprayer.

Agreed! Masking the ceiling off, would be the least of my worries.

If you are doing the ceiling first why worry about the walls?

Show us a picture of the sprayer you plan on using.

Because I didn't plan to paint the walls other than touching up what will show after the cabinets are put in.

1209171142.jpg

Finishing the walls, priming and painting before installing the cabinets.

Finishing the walls, priming and painting before installing the cabinets.

After the walls are done, you don't think I should tape/plastic anything off so I don't spray paint on the walls?

That pic is a couple days old. That large hole in the wall is covered by drywall now.

It's your time and money.

Priming an area reveals the faults, which are a lot easier corrected, then, then after a, because it is a kitchen, semi-gloss.

It's your time and money.

Priming an area reveals the faults, which are a lot easier corrected, then, then after a, because it is a kitchen, semi-gloss.

Okay. Here's what it looks like now, in case you wanted to see. I just need to put up a triangular piece of drywall above where the cabinets will be.

1210172209.jpg

Step 1: Prime Everything with the sprayer.
Step 2: Spray the walls (over spray wont matter unless you are painting a dark color)
Step 3: Make her open the box.
Step 4: Tape out the wall with either painters tape and some plastic sheeting or even better use masking film (Link)

On a separate note if the area is really as small as it looks the work cleaning the sprayer is going to make it easier to just roll the paint on.

Last edited:
Step 1: Prime Everything with the sprayer.
Step 2: Spray the walls (over spray wont matter unless you are painting a dark color)
Step 3: Make her open the box.
Step 4: Tape out the wall with either painters tape and some plastic sheeting or even better use masking film (Link)

On a separate note if the area is really as small as it looks the work cleaning the sprayer is going to make it easier to just roll the paint on.

Yea I'll probably roll the walls and spray the ceiling.

Back