california going dry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it rains here all he time.....i took this picture of an old barn, day before yesterday...ck out how green

shack 002.jpg

For all those people who think our farms don't need water or are evil because they use water might want to think twice about what they would eat without us. California produces more fruit, nuts and veggies than most states combined. Here is an example of the percentages we produce.

California produces a sizable majority of many American fruits, vegetables, and nuts: 99 percent of artichokes, 99 percent of walnuts, 97 percent of kiwis, 97 percent of plums, 95 percent of celery, 95 percent of garlic, 89 percent of cauliflower, 71 percent of spinach, and 69 percent of carrots (and the list goes on and on). Some of this is due to climate and soil. No other state, or even a combination of states, can match California’s output per acre. Lemon yields in California, for example, are more than 50 percent higher than in Arizona. California spinach yield per acre is 60 percent higher than the national average. Without California, supply of all these products in the United States and abroad would dip.

Maybe instead of whining that that farms take too much water how bout we kick everyone out of california that is not associated with farming so we can use our resources for what is important and needed in life? Food!

I keep hearing that those evil farmers are using as much water as LA. How dare those evil people make all that food for the country.

YES, now there is a good plan:clap::agree:

And now we have an oil spill. We just can't keep any valuable resources where we need them.

The poor Birds, they are the ones that suffer the most with oil spills. Don't worry though, Obama will fix it!

I hear he plans on placing all the birds on welfare. This way, he will have another Democratic voter for life.

New restrictions in place today.

You can water your lawn up to twice a week for ten minutes.

Not allowed to wash your car or use a hose outdoors.

Restaurants can only serve water if requested.

Must cut back by at least 25%

Up to a thousand dollar fine for the first offense.

We went through the same scenario years ago. I can't remember if it was in the 90's or early 2000's. But we had the same deal. We also now have the water police. How much you wanna bet you will have them too from now on? That is if you don't have them already.

We have water police and nut job people running around turning people in.

Oh WoW, you have both. Although, I suppose we have some nut jobs here too. A friend of mine got fined $500.00 for watering his fruit trees at the wrong time. So he laid out several hoses throughout his yard and there was a cut in the hose conveniently near each tree.

I'll bet the golf coarse's are just watering away as are all the government buildings.

I know most do not agree with me but personally I think we should do everything in our power to keep water going to farms. As I have stated before they produce over 90% of the nations fruits and nuts. and not just our nation. Without our farms producing at 100% two things will happen, one will be we will have a decrease in quantity coming out of them which will in turn cause shortages and thus shortages will cause prices to skyrocket.

As much as I disagree with the fines and how they are forcing us to cut back I would rather see us as residents be forced to cut and more importantly golf courses and other large consumers. If they changed some rules and let us use grey water for irrigation and have holding tanks of sorts we would not need as much fresh water, bad part about that is really how many people would actually go out of their way to participate?

California is the land of the entitled. (At least in the big city areas) which makes it very hard to actually accomplish goals. The people in charge come up with ideas and generalizations that are far fetched and not a reality. I was listening to a radio news channel today and they were talking about this water and how if you have a family of seven than in order to not get these thousand dollar fines you would have to cut your water back by 70%. They only way around the fine is to send an appeal to the California appeal board where they have the power to change things.

Meanwhile there is huge talk of an actual producing El Nino next winter which I am actually starting to believe a little because of some of the things happening out here that have never been seen before, our ocean waters are warmer than they have ever been, we are catching 200 pound tuna five miles offshore here which has never happened, our ocean as we knew it is not what it is. These warmer waters bring storms and big storms. Lets hope they are right and this winter is a wet one that has the potential to fill our water reserves.

The trouble with climate change is figuring out what it will change. Carefull what you wish for! I would think if all the golf coarses were to close down there would be some cities in big trouble too. All you can do is hope you have the right people who can juggle all the needs of big and small business as well as the people and the farms. But just sitting here on the outside, I would think the lawns would always be first to suffer, while all the big decisions are being worked on.

I would be happier if they didn't jump to these quick decisions and then throw huge fines at them because when California does something it is written in stone. They never give it back. It would be nice if they could actually come up with good fair ideas. To say you have to cut back or pay a grand next month is not a solution to anything. What happens if you are one of those people that has already cut back to the minimum? You already let your yard die, you go to the laundromat, you save all your cooking and cleaning water for other things and then you are told you need to cut another 25%? What is that person to do?

It is just hard to jump for anything this state comes up with because most of all they come up are bad ideas or are to benefit the state and not it's people. We have a track record of failure.

I have a bumper sticker on my truck that says (No Farmers No Food) asking a farmer to cut his water usage 25% That has been working in an area for years that has been hit by water shortage. He has already picked all the low hanging fruit off the water conservation tree. What you are really telling him is cut your production by 25% thus using 25% less water.

He has grown his business and sized his business to be efficient at some rate of production and farming like most business the structure is in place to support some level of output. Some items of his business are more easily adjusted down by 25% than others. He must first look at the fact that his profits will be down 25% and he will need to adjust his work force down 25%. Then he has to look at all his fixed expenses he has equipment and processes sized to some level of output he expects. He’s in debt paying for an operation to accomplish some task based around an average year. it’s not bad enough weather and a million other things can impact his yield now he is told he has to self-inflict a bad year to his plan by 25%, and also told this is not set in stone we might just demand more next year. How is any businessman supposed to plan for such a manmade problem that has unknown outcomes.

Who came up with 25% was that a guess on someone’s part? Things rarely come out to such even numbers. Who prioritized what water usage should be rationed before another? Of course drinking water would be on everyone’s number one on their list and I would think food production would be number 2. Recreational water would seem to me to be on the bottom of all lists even though I understand those people are businesses also.

The solution to every problem involves first stating what the problem really is and then forming a plan on how best to solve the problem leaving no solutions off the table. Government is like the guy that salts his food before he tastes it. Most times they are in such a hurry to solve a problem they don’t take the time to figure out what the problem is or if they are really the right people to solve the problem. Government is pretty limited on what they can do to solve a problem. They only know how to make laws and punish people that don’t obey them and waste money in the process.

I agree, leave the Farmers alone. And the statement that Farmers use 80% of the water is somewhat bogus. Most of the water that is put on crops goes back into the ground to be used again and again. Sure it takes time to get to the aquifer, but it does get there. Now if somebody had said that Farmers used 79.654%, I might think someone actually did a little research, but an even 80%? I think not.

What Chris said about what they take they never give back is very true. And not just in California.

I agree, leave the Farmers alone. And the statement that Farmers use 80% of the water is somewhat bogus. Most of the water that is put on crops goes back into the ground to be used again and again. Sure it takes time to get to the aquifer, but it does get there. Now if somebody had said that Farmers used 79.654%, I might think someone actually did a little research, but an even 80%? I think not.

What Chris said about what they take they never give back is very true. And not just in California.

I have heard that it takes five to six years for water to get back down to be pumped up again. To me that sounds like a constant recycle. Every year we use water about that same amount should be getting back into the ground.

Water is a funny thing, nothing ever uses it up, it is always recycled one way or another and always comes back, it's just a matter of when and where.

Latest posts

Back