Wannabe Home Ispector

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooltime

Reaction score
It was suggested to me to make a career as a home inspector. I checked into it a little bit, and seems like something I would enjoy. It is definetly flexible hours which I desperately need, and the pay sounds good. There are currently no state requirements/licensing but I would plan on taking some courses, and follow with continuing education/study. Also, I would join any organizations in this field, such as ASHI and keep abreast on new developments etc.
I understand I need E&O insurance.

So,.. being that I am not, nor ever have been a contractor, electrician, plumber.. but have donned the hats of them with the homeowner DIY attitude with most everything, those of you in the this wide range of home improvement/construction have any thoughts?

It all depends, just like contractors.
What are your skill levels, overhead, bla bla bla ....

Usually the full timers in our CT licenced area are between,30k to 150k.

I work in the summer big time when the realty demand is high. Winter cools down,haha...but ...

I charge $425.00 for a basic inspection...about a 2000sf home.
My market bears that price....where is your market?

It takes me 2-3 hrs for that sized home.I carry Errors and omissions insurance, about 5-6k a year.
Some weeks are 400 others are 6k. No joke.
Depends also on how many radon tests,water and well flow tests,pest inspections and other test are performed all at extra costs to the client.

So it is hard to answer that question...just remember that the good inspectors are also the busy ones. You need alot of experience and continuing education to stay on top off the changing products and codes. Folks get what they pay for ..... It really is never ending sometimes.

Some weeks you just want to give up...other weeks you just cant wait to help another person on their biggest financial decision to know all they can about that houses condition.

Latest posts

Back