tips for building 12X12 gazebo

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sircrazyhorse

Reaction score
I’m a feather weight at construction. I built i deck and now have started on a 12X12 gazebo. Looking for any tips on building a Gazebo. I'm building a 12X12 octagon gazebo with a 12:12 pitch roof with a 36" raised deck.

>Need some with my rafter layout I found some plans online but they all have collar ties that cut across the middle of the roof ( looks ugly to me). one of the plans i looked at could be found at

http://www.diyonline.com/servlet/GIB_Base/diylib_article.html?session.docid=301

looking for something with a clean look. Decided to go with 12:12 pitch because it has the same pitch as my house (thought that it would look good)

>I can only Work on my gazebo on the weekend a little after work. any suggestions on how i can work on gazebo over a period of time without it warping or it getting out of square?

Any help greatly needed

Feather weight builder

With a 12/12 pitch you won't need collar ties.
Since you are only working on it on week ends i would make sure everything is always braced up securely and keep your lumber stacked and covered if possible.
How are you securing the base?

I plan on securing the base to 4X4X14 post using 2 lags screws per post. the post will be concreted 2 feet in the ground. i attached a copy of the rafter layout tell me what you think.

Thanks

rafter.jpg

Hello SirCrazyHorse:
Check Square-Eye's gallery; he built a beautiful gazebo last summer and he gives some good hints with it.
Glenn

Back