Drywall texture

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5150medic

Reaction score
Need some help. I have replaced a section of drywall after water damage. The texture style on my wall I have only seen on the homes in my neighborhood. After speaking with all the building supply stores,paint stores, google, You Tube, and all construction people I know, no one can tell me what type of texture this is or how to do it. It is not the normal knock down or orange peel that most of the new homes have. I have attached picture. Thanks in advance.

3A96DFC1-0910-4DA0-9E19-A8FB5BDADB7C.jpg

30513EDE-C978-419E-831D-CFFFBC0C91FB.jpg

E9478B82-7D31-45ED-83B8-4194450D1020.jpg

It's a knock-down, and is applied with a hopper gun, the large nozzle and loose or liquid material, than knocked down with a wide knife.

Yes it is drywall. We tried the hopper gun. We could not get the spray the same as the existing. We tried different nozzle sizes, different air pressures, and different mixtures of mud.

Yes, there is a learning curve. Besides what you have attempted, is also the distance the devise is from the palate.

I've done this, so I know it's possible.

The hopper gun is a method for small jobs and repairs, and because of the number of dwellings that have this texture, it's mare than likely the machine was trailer mounted.

Back in the 50s I watched a guy put a surface on a plaster ceiling much like this. He used a brush that was 6 or 8" long and wide to pick up material and held a stick near the ceiling and wacked it with the brush. So it throw the materiel at the ceiling and then he knocked it down with a trowel. Must be a lost art as I have not been able to find any info like that.

A dash brush is another texture tool.

At the end of the day, rather than allowing the frustration to consume him, I'd mask off the room and retexture the whole ceiling as close as is possible to the existing.

I had that same texture on a wall of my vacation mobile home. I tried every variation of spray from my hopper and finally called in the original texture guy. He made the pattern using only a paintbrush, then knocked it down after 20 minutes of set up.

20131015_172703.jpg

20131018_114838.jpg

20131008_153645.jpg

Last edited:
The only advice I have after going thru this myself a few time is don’t practice on the wall. Use scrap drywall or even a piece of cardboard and work out the method you want to use. When you have it perfected then move into the room. Saves on a lot of scraping and sanding. In the end unless you are a pro or get lucky the suggestion above of doing the whole surface over isn’t a bad idea. It is hard to match anything but flat.

The only advice I have after going thru this myself a few time is don’t practice on the wall. Use scrap drywall or even a piece of cardboard and work out the method you want to use. When you have it perfected then move into the room. Saves on a lot of scraping and sanding. In the end unless you are a pro or get lucky the suggestion above of doing the whole surface over isn’t a bad idea. It is hard to match anything but flat.

Reason number one why I dislike all forms of drywall textures.

Back