Horizontal furnace

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealtw

Contractor retired
Reaction score
We have been disussing on another thread either moving a furnace to a small add on on the side of the house or installing a horizontal furnace.
So moving the furnace to the side or outside of house, how efeciency do you loose, and what clearence do you need below the joists for a horizontal.
Right now an upright furnace and water tank are standing in what would be a swimming pool if the sump pump stops for a few hours.
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/showthread.php?t=19909

I don’t know too much about furnace installations or water heaters for that matter, but every device I have ever seen the manufacture has guidelines and requirements and such for standoff distances. Local code I guess could even be more restrictive but I would go by what the company says as my min distance. Likewise all the ones I have looked at rate their units efficiency on their site.

I have a small mud room attached to the house without heat. I have found even without heat sharing a uninsulated wall with the house keeps the room above freezing and we get some really sever cold spells. Most attached garages stay about 10 degrees warmer in older homes. Not sure about the new super insulated homes.

My furnace is in an unheated basement. Last winter I cut an opening into the main trunk and put a grate in that can be opened or shut. I just leave it cracked and the basement gets a little heat.

My daughter had a condo in Montgomery County, MD (tough codes) that had a separate utility room for each unit. It was built with gas condensing furnace (outside fresh air draw) and 50gal electric water heater w/ exposed interior PVC/CPVC water lines.

Even though insulated at build, the insulation was compromised by continual freezing/flooding of the 2" drain run inside of an outside wall (continual freezing of outside drain).

It had an electric resistance wall heater ($$$ - minimum $10.00 month) to keep the WH and supply line(s) from freezing.

Code did not allow a small vent on the furnace ducting to either heat (or cool) the room.

Latest posts

Back