cement waterproofing?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawrencef

Reaction score
I have an old porch that is made of wood. It has been covered over by concrete. What is the best waterproofing I can use on the concrete to prevent the wood underneath from rotting? I live in the NY metro area.:help:

mt vernon porch pic.JPG

Last edited:
Too late, nealtw.

But at this point, maybe a regular dose of Kure N Seal on the concrete, in an effort to minimize the amount of water getting through it and into the wood. You might want to poke around (with an ice pick) in the wood forming underneath, just to see how much deterioration has already taken place.

Certain types of wood can last a long time, even when embedded in moist concrete. I suspect it might be a matter of oxygen not being able to get to the wood to promote rotting (although, probably not the case in your situation).

But you still should take a look underneath to see what condition the wood is in. And if it is on its last legs (as in close to rotten), time to make the determination as to whether the slab is capable of being self-supporting, should the wood become completely non-functional.

Back