Now you see it, now you don't!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

havasu

Short story. We recently had the tree in front of our house professionally trimmed by a contractor for the city. It was the most horrible job I've ever seen, so I spoke to the city public works supervisor to complain about the job they did. He said that was the best they could do given how much the city paid to trim it. He said if you don't like it, I'll just cut down the damn tree. Well, I said, go ahead, cuz the way it's trimmed, it will come down with the next wind. well, that was 6 weeks ago. Guess what the city did today! :clap:

20151119_135821_resized.jpg

20151119_141446_resized.jpg

20151119_141514_resized.jpg

If I were the city I would put up a billboard there just for complaining.....

That’s one way to get it to fall where you want it.

You have a great view of the mountain now.

They chopped the stump into 18" sizes, and dumped the whole thing into a roll off. I have no idea what kind of tree it was but it had a real good looking red color with a nice grain.

I meant how did they leave it in the ground? Did they stump grind or pull the root ball?

Oh, the stump. They came in right afterwards and ground down the stump.

You got lucky they foot the bill. We don't have those parkway planters around here.

These trees have been falling down on their own on a weekly basis. I guess it is just a preemptive strike.

City says they are broke. Our former mayor bilked them for millions from what I understand. He is still in prison.

They can afford a 200 grand loader an operator and a 100k truck to move it but not a 15 dollar tree?

I full understand it though. We run into similar problems at work.

A small town in central California wanted to raise their dam to hold more water, enough to serve several times more people than their only town. They got a quote for the actual work of 2 million. Than the state required a five million dollar deposit for environmental research and there was a seven year wait for environmental research. The state also had a fee for a couple million to do the project.

All said and done the town decided not to reserve water for everyone because of politics. Our state turned a 2 million dollar project into over a ten million dollar project with a seven year wait just to see if it wouldn't be shut down. All after paying the state fee and research fee.

That small town had already raised the money for the actual work.

This is why we get nothing done in this state.

I full understand it though. We run into similar problems at work.

A small town in central California wanted to raise their dam to hold more water, enough to serve several times more people than their only town. They got a quote for the actual work of 2 million. Than the state required a five million dollar deposit for environmental research and there was a seven year wait for environmental research. The state also had a fee for a couple million to do the project.

All said and done the town decided not to reserve water for everyone because of politics. Our state turned a 2 million dollar project into over a ten million dollar project with a seven year wait just to see if it wouldn't be shut down. All after paying the state fee and research fee.

That small town had already raised the money for the actual work.

This is why we get nothing done in this state.

You can see both sides of the coin on something like this. It's easy to imagine that some eager young guy came up with an idea, but who knows if the topography can take the strain of the additional water, and whatever unintended consequences come with a project like that. So the intention of the State is not bad, but the execution of the state's plan becomes a problem. Why would the study take more money than the project itself? And why the long wait? Is there a backlog of towns with projects like this that would cause a delay of years??:confused:

No just a standard that was voted in. There issue is with critters more than the water itself.

We let go enough water down one river to feed 500,000 homes for a year to keep six steelhead trout alive because the hundreds of thousands of steelhead that come from the farm a couple miles up river are not allowed to be counted as steelhead because they are born in a nursery.

Also it wasn't any sort of eager young guy it was several engineers. Was well thought out and planned.

Nothing in California gets done without lining the pockets of someone.

Latest posts

Back