Cleaning question-NOT about ears... lol

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwmainer

Reaction score
Hey Nestor... et al...

I bought a front load Samsung, huge dryer at Lowes on clearance. Steal deal. However, some bright boy or girl at Lowes had used clear packing tape to tape the "clearance" sign to the front of the machine, directly on the glass/plastic clear area.

After carefully peeling off the sticky tape... there's a residue. I already know that you cannot, CANNOT use Goo Gone (no, I didn't, but someone I know did). I tried WD40 and that removed some of it, but there's still a tacky residue across the front of the clear plastic front. I'm afraid to try stuff, for fear it will fog it up.

Any suggestions? Oh, the cleaners used for plexiglass poster frames etc... are not formulated to handle sticky goo. So they won't work...

Thanks!
Signed,
kw-whose-ears-are-itching-but-not-twitching...mainer

What about rubbing alcohol? As a nurse... I have those things little packets in my pockets all the time and they clean lots of stuff off... even permanant markers...

I am not sure if it would be a safe thing to use on it... but... it may do the trick if you can't find an contradictory information! :2cents:

You want to buy some mineral spirits in any paint store or home center.

Mineral spirits:
1. quickly dissolves the glues typically used on adhesive tapes and labels.
2. is safe to use to clean most plastics. (It will cause polystyrene to fog up, which is the plastic used to make clear plastic drinking cups and prescription drug vials, tho, but this is minimized by wiping the mineral spirits off quickly after cleaning rather than allowing the mineral spirits to dry up by itself on the plastic.)
3. Evaporates completely without leaving a residue.

Where it's a critical situation and you want to ensure that you don't harm the plastic, you can use cooking oil to dissolve the adhesive, and then use a detergent like liquid laundry detergent to clean the cooking oil off the plastic.

I use mineral spirits so frequently for removing tape, labels and such other things that I keep a small bottle of it in my bathroom medicine cabinet for convenience.

Mineral spirits also goes by the names "solvent", "paint thinner" and "Varsol". All of those chemicals are pretty well the same thing, and I really can't explain why you can often find a considerable price difference between them. I'd just buy the one that's the cheapest because so far as I can tell, there is no difference between "solvent", "mineral spirits" and "paint thinner".

Varsol is Esso's trade name for mineral spirits, so the difference between Varsol and mineral spirits is the same as the difference between a Xerox machine and a photocopier or a Ski Doo and a snowmobile. Esso is the Canadian subsidiary of the Exxon Corporation, so if you live in the US, you might not be familiar with Varsol.

But, if it's a clothes dryer, it almost certainly would have a GLASS door on it, and no solvent will harm glass. The temperature inside a dryer will get up to 150 or 160 degrees, and plexiglas would be so soft at that temperature that even clothing
rubbing against it would end up scratching it up and wrecking it's transparency.

WD-40 is an oil and it leaves a residue behind and you need a solvent like mineral spirits to remove that residue anyway. You're better off using mineral spirits in the first place so you only have to clean once instead of twice.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've got a can of Mspirits here. I'll try a tiny amount on the side by the handle..

And Q-tips.... they are those little white sticks with cotton on the ends that the inspector and you stick in your ears.... oh, well you know about those I'd guess.... <chuckle>

In regards to the door on the Samsung.... It's a double walled. The inside door is most def. glass. The outside, smooth/flush clear stuff is def. some sort of plastic.

K, you just can't let the inspectors ear fetish alone can ya:rofl:

or maybe it was nestor, no

wait, what?.................

Hey K, did you see the inspectors really cool Canadian Hockey cap?

I DID! I DID!!!! Yeah... since I grew up near the er... Canadian border.... I thought it was stylin'!!!!

lol... okay... we are so off topic now....

Hey Nestor... et al...

I bought a front load Samsung, huge dryer at Lowes on clearance. Steal deal. However, some bright boy or girl at Lowes had used clear packing tape to tape the "clearance" sign to the front of the machine, directly on the glass/plastic clear area.

After carefully peeling off the sticky tape... there's a residue. I already know that you cannot, CANNOT use Goo Gone (no, I didn't, but someone I know did). I tried WD40 and that removed some of it, but there's still a tacky residue across the front of the clear plastic front. I'm afraid to try stuff, for fear it will fog it up.

Any suggestions? Oh, the cleaners used for plexiglass poster frames etc... are not formulated to handle sticky goo. So they won't work...

Thanks!
Signed,
kw-whose-ears-are-itching-but-not-twitching...mainer
goof off may work find inpaint dept

I agree that rubbing alcohol will probably work. If not, maybe finger nail polish remover?

I've had this problem before and rubbing alcohol works best

Latest posts

Back