What to start with?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan208

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out what to start on when the kitchen remodel is done. We want to sell our house a few years down the road. The big things that need done are siding (house and garage), shingles (also house and garage), furnace/AC unit, and bathroom. Then there are the smaller things like carpet, trim, etc. I have no idea which things should be done first and what can wait until later.

Just my observations, but on a home inspection folks worry about the roof first, and rot or damaged siding second. Furnaces and other mechanicals can always be fixed up to at least operate.

Just my observations on hundreds of inspections.:D

I agree with inspectorD on the roof. From a stability perspective a roof is key. Fix any leaks. If the roof doesn't leak and is functional you will get a significantly higher return on a siding upgrade than a roof.

Thanks. The roof doesn't leak (that I'm aware of) but the garage shingles need replaced very badly. There are a lot that are torn off and they don't match the house shingles (house is brown, garage is gray). The siding isn't in horrible shape, but one of the previous owners sided the house but not the garage. They tried to paint the garage to match the house siding and failed horribly.

The furnace is about 20 years old. I also forgot to mention replacing the hot water heater and replacing windows (very old windows that leak air badly).

If you are replacing your windows and siding. look into replacement windows /new construction with built in j channels . it will save casing out the windows and be a much cleaner look. i wanted to do it on a couple of houses but couldnt talk the owners into it. has anyone done this before?

Back