Reducing Energy Costs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaleyh

Reaction score
Got to love the warm weather! Birds chirping and the sun shining! Alright, so some aren't quite there yet with all the sudden winter weather, but we have been pretty fortunate. Been warm enough that we actually started running our AC! Last fall we had the unit looked at and such because it seemed like our bills were atrocious.

Basically, the guy said we needed a tune up and it needed cleaned. Apparently, there was too much grass and wind blown items in it. So, this year I have purchased the Air Conditioner protector to try and keep the grass out of the unit. It's easy to put on and that makes it perfect for me.

But, I have a feeling this may not be the ONLY thing I need to be doing to reduce the stress on my AC..... I just don't know what the other things are......

Welcome to the site, really I am just bumping this post in case the people in the know missed it.

it was 17 degrees this morning. I'm not thinking about AC yet...and I am jealous!!

The short answer has something to do with what temp you are trying to achieve indoors. Can we assume the guy cleaned the unit last time, and that nothing blew in during the off-season?

Ask what kind of change in your bills you can expect to see if your HVAC is at the peak of tune.

Quote from a dead guy:
"I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely, in your thoughts, advanced to the stage of science, whatever the matter may be."

If he says "It varies", ask what 10%, 50% and 90% of the customers have seen. If he gives you the "I don't know" answer, ask who does know.

ASHRAE is probably still credible for these kinds of estimates but their publications are costly.

Last edited:
Got to love the warm weather! Birds chirping and the sun shining! Alright, so some aren't quite there yet with all the sudden winter weather, but we have been pretty fortunate. Been warm enough that we actually started running our AC! Last fall we had the unit looked at and such because it seemed like our bills were atrocious.

Basically, the guy said we needed a tune up and it needed cleaned. Apparently, there was too much grass and wind blown items in it. So, this year I have purchased the Air Conditioner protector to try and keep the grass out of the unit. It's easy to put on and that makes it perfect for me.

But, I have a feeling this may not be the ONLY thing I need to be doing to reduce the stress on my AC..... I just don't know what the other things are......

I would be reluctant to add another screen, as it will restrict the airflow and make the motor work harder, I would think it would be better to clean more often.

Latest posts

Back