Deck Board Gap

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cibula11

Reaction score
I know it is recent practice to butt 5/4 x6 PT decking as close as you can and then as it dries it creates a small space. My question, is that I got the lumber from Menards. It looks fine, but I know they sometimes let there lumber sit around. How can I be sure that my lumber is wet? I want to start laying the decking today, but I am concerned that if I put a space between the boards it will look awful in the future. But, if the boards are already dry, then I will never get a gap. Any thoughts?

Hi Cibula:
Run a power saw through a board and see if the sawdust has any moisture in it. If the lumber is dry and is installed tightly, it may want to buck up. You could use a 16d nail for a spacer between boards to prevent the boards from bucking and, even if it did shrink some, it wold not be more than a 1/4" crack.
Glenn

I'll try that. My guess is that the lumber has been sitting around at the lumber yard for a few months. It is definately not "wet".

Good call. We used to use 16d nails as spacers. Good indicator of moisture is also weight. Some species of wood will shrink more then others, Loblolly Pine coming readily to mind.

Latest posts

Back