Adding a second level w/ eco roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackconsult

Reaction score
In the early stages of this .... and just joined this forum. So I will take the time to do some searching, so if folks don't want to comment "no worries".

We live in a 1500 ft^2 single level home here in Vancouver, WA (a suburb of Portland, OR). 3 bedroom, 2 bath, T configuration, with a "great room" that has a vaulted ceiling over the kitchen, and living room. Walls are all 2x6 construction.

This weekend after returning from the Oregon Offshore Sailboat race, my wife said she is going to leave me if I don't buy a bigger house. Kids are driving her crazy.

So I started thinking about it while riding my motorcycle out of my neighborhood. Almost all the houses in my neighborhood are of higher square footage, with two levels, and have higher valuations than our place. On top of this my house is 13 years old, and is in need of a new roof. I have placed some calls to my friends and fellow sailors who are in financing, architecture, and construction about adding a second level over the existing bedrooms and bathrooms, hopefully will soon get feedback from them. This way our current master bedroom can become the playroom, and the second level would get a office, large master bedroom with walk in closet, and large 3rd bathroom. If you look at the picture in this posting that was taken about 12 years ago you can see that one roof line goes higher than the other. My plan would be to have the second story go over the garage back towards the back side of the house going in place of the lower roof line. So the side of the second level implementation would intersect with the higher roof line.

I am a mechanical engineer and worked in construction/roofing previously, not only this but I have a lot of tools (dewalt chop saw, air nail gun, etc.). Of course I will approach state of Washington about what requirements are needed.

If people could chime in on whether this is a good idea to spend time and resources on .......

scan0046.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I'd get two estimates. One for the addition and another for a divorce. Go with the cheaper of the two.
No, seriously, I don't know if it is actual or the pic but, it looks like the main roofline slopes down to meet the roofline of the garage. Either way, this is a difficult roof to start with. Expanding out the side doesn't appear to be a cheap option because of the fireplace. You could probably buy twice the house for half the money if you need to move up.

I don't know why it would be difficult. The second story addition outer walls would line up with all four walls of the existing implementation. House is 2x6, and getting into the garage (probably currently 2x4) and adding 2x6 wouldn't be to bad. Besides having to re-sheet rock.

1) My wife and I don't want to move.
2) I need to fork out for a new roof any way, and I don't want to do composite again if I don't have to.
3) All the houses around my house are two story, of higher square footage, and of higher value than ours.

Welcome MackConsult:
I would certainly recommend adding a second floor; you already have a foundation and need a new roof anyway. Expanding space with the same foot print is a real plus. You will have to consider some method of weather protection until you get the new roof on, isn't that a high rain area?
You may be able to take the present trusses off and save them for use later on the upper level. So, you basicly need only extra walls and a floor to make the addition.
Glenn

Adding a 2nd floor is done all the time
Many people like where they are & don't want to move
But that is an option - look to see if there are foreclosed homes in your area that banks are looking to unload for cheap $$

I added an unfininished 2nd floor to my last house
I needed a new roof & storage space
1st floor was only 912 sq ft, 2nd floor added 700 sq ft

Friends just had their 2nd floor addition finished - it looks great
You would never know it was only 1 floor

Welcome MackConsult:
I would certainly recommend adding a second floor; you already have a foundation and need a new roof anyway. Expanding space with the same foot print is a real plus. You will have to consider some method of weather protection until you get the new roof on, isn't that a high rain area?
You may be able to take the present trusses off and save them for use later on the upper level. So, you basicly need only extra walls and a floor to make the addition.
Glenn

I like that. This would be done in the summer time, which is usually very dry here July - September.

Run it by your local Building Department, first. Two story requires an 8" foundation here, not 6" which you probably have. You may also need additional shear walls on the first floor. I think it would be easier, quicker to add on the end, just relocate the wood burning insert stove,(you already have the expensive pipe). A lot less engineering, and wouldn't have to tear up the walls for shear panels. Whatever you do, get a permit. Or it will bite you, when time to sell. Be safe, G

Run it by your local Building Department, first. Two story requires an 8" foundation here, not 6" which you probably have. You may also need additional shear walls on the first floor. I think it would be easier, quicker to add on the end, just relocate the wood burning insert stove,(you already have the expensive pipe). A lot less engineering, and wouldn't have to tear up the walls for shear panels. Whatever you do, get a permit. Or it will bite you, when time to sell. Be safe, G

So I just got back from the house after a licensed/experienced contractor took a look at my house. $100/ft @ 800 ft^2. He said that he would do it if I wanted to do it, but did not recommend it. $80,000 to add 800 ft^2 does not make good financial sense to me. Walls would have to be torn apart to put beams in, and yes the foundation and footings would have to be reinforced or made larger. Not only this but I would loose the bathroom in the old master bedroom.

I have decided on just completing all my home projects at this point, and start looking at another home. Hopefully I won't loose my job, and can afford to get refinanced and move into a larger home before the end of the year. Wife was bummed :eek:(.

Back