paint problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyB

Reaction score
Hi guys

Me and the girlfriend have painted the trim and doors in our hallway because we didnt like the look of the wood. I used killz primer first on the wood then painted with a latex paint. But the problme I noticed is that when you close the door in the hallway some of the paint scrapes off? is there something that I can apply to the edges of the door to stop it sticking and peeling the paint off? or is this something that I have to live with because the door rubs againt the frame?

thanks for any advice

Jeremy

Jeremy:

The problem is that the door is rubbing against the door frame, and latex paint is a soft paint that's more prone to wearing off than an oil based paint would be. An oil based paint would have rubbed off a bit on the frame as well, but being much harder there would be less oil based paint rubbing off.

Yeah oil paints still have it over on latex paints for high traffic (and high friction) areas; however you'll definitely want to take care of that door first before you try any refinishing

When you applied paint to the edges you increased the width and lenght by the thickness of the paint. Sounds like the door and door opening have a tight fit in the first place. I don't know if there is anything you can do. Maybe try sanding some of the high spots a little but don't take down to bare wood.

Back