Leaking around Chminey and Mold on Plaster

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbhous

Reaction score
I have a plaster wall which has a history of water problems. I have a couple of questions. I am going to have the chimney rebuilt and the entire side of the house ground out and tuckpointed. 1.) How do I make sure that the wall and chimney are no longer leaking. I know that I can wait for it to dry thoroughly, but is there any kind of profession which could put a moisture meter on it and track it's progress before it is completely dry, so I know if it is going in the right direction. 2.) The plaster has mold and mildew on it. Should I completely hack out the plaster and replace it or just treat it with boric acid? What is the best method to remove the plaster if that is the suggested method 3.) How can I speed up the drying of the plaster?

Thanks,
Brian Houston

Brian, there are companies that will do moisture evaluation of the wall and chimney. They can take infrared pictures that shows water migration, it might be pricey cause the equipment is very expensive.

Wish I lived closer...I do all that.
The good news is so do others. Since I belong to American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI I would recommend one of those folks. Non -profit professional organization with plenty of training. And if you can, find somoene with United Infrared training for moisture. They are the classes I also passed and are the only acreddited school I know of.
And most of all...ask for a past client you can talk to to they have worked with.

Good luck, :)

d, can you straighten up the weather for next wk ? ? ? head'd up to ct & hear its going to be rainy !

All that may shower stuff happens up here....I'll put in a good word though, we have a ribbon cutting for our Lions club gazebo, and I don't think it will hold the 1200 folks commin over.:D

And why would anyone visit CT unless there was a really good $$$ reason is hard to understand.;)

And all those plaster questions I missed, I think you should remove the plaster where it has been damaged only, and start over. The new lead laws that went into effect in April may be a cause for concern also. EPA has a website.
Plaster is still sold in a dry mix, and unless you know how to do it the old fashioned way with lime, then follow the directions on the package.

funeral & ashes spreading in niantic,,, least the weather was decent,, tnx for the help, d !

ps - the new lead paint law doesn't apply to the h/o under the ' king of the castle ' rule

Ahhh the ocean, My sister used to live on first street in Niantic on the bay. And yea, that was the other reason folks come to Ct. We are the state of CT....taxed to death
And that new lead law..is interesting to say the least. And the word from rumor mill above is...2 years from now it will apply to the "Kings"...say it ain't so....:eek:

some atty genl you've got up there, too, d,,, what a pantload ! why's the only solution to raise taxes ? ? ? higher taxes drove me FROM ny over 32 yrs ago,,, thank you mario cuomo :hide:

Back