Replacing a window with a patio door, concerns?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheabee

Reaction score
are there any structural concerns i need to be aware of in replacing a window with a patio door?

the window is currently a 60-inch window, so i would use a 60-inch patio door. the only cutting would be the exterior brick and interior wall below the window. i believe the height of the window is the same as the height of the door. although i need to verify that.

any opinions would be appreciated.

thanks!

oh also, its a duplex, and this is a lower unit, so i guess more specifically my question was in regards to structural support. is there anything i need to be aware of or that i should check prior to this project? a temporary support? anything?

If you are talking about a 60" sliding glass door you should be fine. The rough open for both are the same, Just check with your supplier that the new door is for a 60" rough opening. If the new door is shorter than the opening, You can space it up with 2x4 or what fits, This helps keep the water out.

You want to remove the trim on the window to confirm the rough opening. The header width is not easily changed.
You also want to make sure the height of the new door will fit. Many doors have a high sill base that is made to set on the subfloor. You need to measure from the subfloor to the header to get the rough opening height.

Latest posts

Back