Need any suggestions regarding framing Inspection(s)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floridagal

Reaction score
So over the past two weeks we've had two framing inspections.

1. Inspector stated I'd pass you but you need to add wood around the entire interior exterior walls… At the top where the insulation ends, we had it in most areas but not all. He in detail explained the reason it can slow down a fire from spreading to 2nd level…Ok no problem he said we can put it right over the installed insulation. Did it… and ordered 2nd framing inspection.

2. A different inspector told us we have to take it down and cut out the insulation and put it back against the block wall.

There's already a 6" wide 3" depth wood that's nailed directly into the block, which is in essences part of the interior outside walls that help support the sub flooring on the 2nd level.

My question is what do we do, one inspector told us to do it one way and another said to do it another way and neither makes much since since a 1" x 3" is hardly going to stop a fire it would be more like kindle then a fire barrier… However, the heavy duty wood that goes completely around the interior exterior walls would for sure slow it down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Can't believe two different inspectors have told us to do this two completely different ways… The first one also stated everything was perfect except for that and he would have passed us. URRR! HELP!

Did the first inspector put anything in writing where you could validate what you did as per his suggestions?

So, what did the second inspector say when you showed him the changes and the report from the first inspection?

So, what did the second inspector say when you showed him the changes and the report from the first inspection?

They don't give you the notes, they are in the Building Permit Department though with our file, when I told him that the 1st inspector told us to do it the way it was done he said "Oh I'll have to talk to him"… Second one also told us we would have to hire someone to do the spray foam insulation so I called the Inspector that does the insulation inspections and we are allowed to spray it ourselves… The 2nd inspector seemed to be one of those that came up with his own rules as he went along.

Accidentally started a second thread which I shouldn't have, I meant to keep all questions in one thread. Sorry.

We will not be able to explain some inspectors but the fire stopping is code and it is to slow the fire for 30 min. to give you time to get out.

Latest posts

Back