Washer and dryer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HCourville

Reaction score
I recently moved in a 1942 built home and there is not washer and dryer. I would have to re wire the house to put it in. Any ideas on how I should do this.

The boys here will want to know what you have for a main panel, fuses or breakers and type of wiring like knob and tube.

I guess if you want it you rewire the house. Not sure what you are asking?
Is the dryer gas or electric? If gas then a simple 20 amp circuit run to the laundry area should be enough to serve both units.

It may help if you have NG running to your house because if you have 60 amp elec. service, any two of these elec. appliances running at the same time may use up your available capacity -
dryer, water heater, central AC, stove, oven.

200K BTU/hr of NG coming into your house and burned at 80% efficiency is equivalent to 48 kW of elec. used for heating. There may also be some central AC units that run on NG.

Last edited:
Wuzzat?

The question was about a washer & dryer.

Wuzzat?

The question was about a washer & dryer.
Yeah, getting a gas dryer may allow the OP to put off getting an electrical upgrade.

One service I saw for a 1947 house was 4 ea. 15A screw-in fuses.

I recently moved in a 1942 built home and there is not washer and dryer. I would have to re wire the house to put it in. Any ideas on how I should do this.
WHY in the world would one need to "rewire the house" to install a washer/dryer?

I recently installed a new front loader and had to rewire. Requires a 4 wire install for the dryer . Very easy , just run power around the outside from panel

Back