What size gas line for gas fireplace insert

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffy

Reaction score
I think I just came up on a great deal on a natural gas fireplace insert I have never installed one of these before so any suggestions you have would be appreciated . first off what size gas line would I need it will be about a 75 foot run. 2nd what kind of flue liner would I need. 3rd any thing I'm missing except the electrical and on that subject would it be 15 or 20 amp? I know I can install it with my sons help just have a lot of questions if I even get this one . but I will get one by spring.

Very limited knowledge but what we see up here is 1/2" soft copper with yellow tape marker indicating gas. You may want to check the meter to be sure you have enough gas coming in. I know people who have had to change things for instant hot water.
I doubt you need a lot of power unless you are installing fan but even then, they are not huge.

I think I just came up on a great deal on a natural gas fireplace insert I have never installed one of these before so any suggestions you have would be appreciated . first off what size gas line would I need it will be about a 75 foot run. 2nd what kind of flue liner would I need. 3rd any thing I'm missing except the electrical and on that subject would it be 15 or 20 amp? I know I can install it with my sons help just have a lot of questions if I even get this one . but I will get one by spring.

Where you are will have very specific standards for it's installation, which you need to permit for your own preservation.

Most inserts come with instruction and where the chimney material is available locally.

Different localities have different standards for fuel gas. Here on the truly left coast its PVC, Galv. and Black iron pipe.

The insert will have a K.O. for the gas line and the igniter is usually low voltage.

At a minimum I would use 1/2 and for that long a run it wouldn’t hurt to run 3/4” and step it down to 1/2” at the last elbow or couple it. Usually those inserts are between 20-30,000 btu/hr much like an oven or dryer when on. You shouldn’t need to upgrade your gas meter. Most meters will run above the rating that’s on them...AC 250 can handle over 300,000 btu’s/hr. When you start adding tankless water heaters, pool heaters and large outdoor kitchens with fire pits then it’s recommended you contact your utility company. You’ll be fine with the meter you have.

For the electrical, a 15 amp circuit is all you need, I don't think mine is even dedicated to the gas fireplace. They have a small squirrel cage fan to push air over the firebox to move the warm air into the room. I'd agree with the others on the pipe size. I had one installed in our last house that had a long run, it was in 1" flex pipe as is everything in this house including the gas fireplace. I have two gas furnaces, gas fireplace, gas water heater, gas dryer and gas range.

I’m not a fan of the CSST flex tubing, but if you do decide to go that route, be sure and check those compression nuts, I’ve seen contracting plumbers do shorty work and left them leaking! That is the key. There was a YouTube video somewhere on line where that tubing arced from an electrical wire causing a pinhole in the attic- burned the house down. Just saying.

I think i will go with the CSST flex tubing depending on the cost vs black iron. if i do i will triple check the fittings. thanks for the warning.

I’m not a fan of the CSST flex tubing, but if you do decide to go that route, be sure and check those compression nuts, I’ve seen contracting plumbers do shorty work and left them leaking! That is the key. There was a YouTube video somewhere on line where that tubing arced from an electrical wire causing a pinhole in the attic- burned the house down. Just saying.

In MINN. they do not allow flex except for the appliance connection, everything else is in ridgid.

Back