Fixer Upper Exterior Ideas needed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gem

Reaction score
I inherited this house located in quiet rural hamlet.. a solidly constructed 1920's home with 2 additions. I have recently relocated to this home, as it is a great project to begin my retirement. The interior was updated, other than a couple small adjustments, all that was really required was to give it a fresh coat of paint.

I am at a loss with how to improve this "Awkward" looking exterior. I am looking for low cost improvement, as resale for homes in this hamlet are rare.
1. What type of window replacement would you suggest? with or without correct fitting shutters?
2. Paint Colors?
3. The door is not an entryway, it is a solid wall of bedroom closet. Couple suggestions from family... install an exterior door or arbor..or demolish lol
4. The house is located in northern, 6 month winter climate.... The house faces north, thus limits options for short growing season plants.

My plan is to live here for many years, with minimal expense for an improved pleasant look.

I welcome & appreciate any feedback.

dura-trel-sunburst-lattice-vinyl-planter-trellis-w_3226358.jpg

HouseExterior (1).jpg

HouseExterior (2).jpg

HouseExteriorWinterAfter.jpg

Kind of depends on the budget. You can go as economical as a fifferent paint color to changing the siding/windows/doors. Landscaping has the same resrictions. Simple as seeding/fertilizing the lawn to new sidwalks/bushes/etc.

One thing I would do to start is remove the cement slab in front of the door that looks to be covered over. Then put siding over the door area to match (if it's no longer going to be used down the road).

Last edited:
That roof line on the right hand side would bother me.
It makes the house look lopsided, and added on to I'd want it to match the left side.
Where's the entrance door?

I agree, remove the old step and re work all the siding on the right side so the door disappears with out straight lines in the siding where the door was.

Paint the rack boards to match the shutters .

My plan is to live here for many years, with minimal expense for an improved pleasant look.

I welcome & appreciate any feedback.

Based on this I would do new vinyl windows all around and new vinyl siding with fan fold insulation under it leaving the old siding. If the walls are not insulated that would be the time to blow in insulation from the outside and check for attic insulation. I wouldn’t worry about the roof lines but try and balance out the curb appeal with siding features and landscaping.

The house was free put a little money into it and pay it off over the many years enjoying it.

:welcome: to the forum

Thank you for replies.

Good point about the doorstep. I agree horizontal siding will remove "door" outline. Shutters and rack boards same color is already on list to do.

I agree the house looks awkward, lop sided...previous home owners, had poor designs..

Thanks for input greatly appreciated.

House entrance door is on the left side.. patio doors leading to deck & backyard, the rear of right side.

Thank you Bud, I am looking at various window shapes... the home is well insulated. The roof reshingled last summer....the roofers, looked into attic, looks good with blown in insulation.

I plan to enjoy this home for many years, and putting some $$ into its exterior is my summer plan. I want to park my vehicle in driveway and look at front of home with satisfaction, versus the "awkward feeling" looking at "awkward looking house.
Thanks for your comments.

I lived in a painted house for 30 years and the cost or DIY labor however you look at it will get you in the end.

For those 30 years I hated the look and thought of vinyl siding on an older home. Even though I hated the look of watching paint fade, crack, peel, etc. and then putting off painting again a couple years because after the first go around you realize what it takes to do it right. As you get older the job gets bigger also. When I bought the house I had the roof done and aluminum trim and gutters. Looks like the day it was done still.

This new fixer upper we bought 5 years ago already had been sided and all I did was pressure wash it and I swear the value of the home went up 10% as it looked brand new.

The time to spend a little money is in the beginning if you can swing it as you get to enjoy it more years and it still adds to the value in the end.

Back