Help: Moving fridge to where washer was?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leighgenevera

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I need a little bit of advice. I have an L shaped kitchen with a refridgerator at one end of the "L" and the washer/dryer/hot water heater closet at the other end. I would like to move the fridge and have it recessed into the washer/dryer closet and put a small folding door so the hot water heater can be accessed.

This would make a better working triangle and allow for a peninsula at the other end of the L where the fridge was.

I would then get a stackable washer/dryer and put it on the other side of the wall where the fridge was (it would be just behind the converted garage in a little existing nook).

SO, my question is this...since the water access is already there from the washer, how difficult would it be to hook up the fridge in that location? The same goes for busting through the wall for the washer using the fridge's old supply (if there is one, I am not really sure).....also, how much would it cost to add a water line if there is not one?

This is our first house and I am trying to get a sense of cost and whether or not we can do this ourselves.

Thanks!

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to swap the location of the fridge and the Washer / Dryer...

The issue is that the washer / Dryer need hot water, cold water, exhaust for the dryer and either gas or 220V electric for the dryer. If you have a side by side washer / dryer currently you could go to a stackable and put the fridge where one of the other units were located. The fridge generally uses a small waterline that comes off the sink and is not a full waterline that you could run a washer off of.

Another thing to consider here is the width of the Fridge and the washer or dryer. Make sure that the stackable new unit will fit next to the fridge.

Once you take a look at the connections for the appliances come back and let us know what you are working with and we can further assist you.

That is an option I didn't even consider, thank you. I will have to take measurements and see what works best....it would be much easier than moving the 220V electric for the dryer as I'm sure that alone is costly...thanks

Moving the line is not that hard, it's all the plumbing that will have to be redone and a vent line that has to be run all the way to the roof.
Your going to need a plumber, electriction and a permit to do all this.
I'd start with calling in some plumbers since there going to cost the most and take the most time, and do the most wall damage to see if you still think this is a good idea.

a ventless washer/dryer combo could be an option and I read they take a normal 110 v electric outlet...

I had one of those ventless ones, there far to small for a family, my light bill went through the roof and it took about an hour for clothes to dry.

Back