Paint Color Advice?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apub

Reaction score
I live in a townhouse and they recently redid my kitchen with Oak honey spice cabinets and purple / gray marble countertop. They are going to put in a new tile floor but it is almost identical to the countertop! Now I don't know what color to paint my walls because the floor and counters are extremely similar. Does anyone have any advice on what color I should paint? My kitchen is pretty small and I don't want the floors and counters to make it look dark and closed in. Please help!

I would have to see the colour of the counters and floor, but picking a light colour for sure is important. A nice bamboo-white sounds like it could be good - it light and airy, but has a warmth to it compared to white.

I would almost think more of a greyish tint... verrrrry very light, though. I think that would best tie together your color palette. Good luck!

Hello Apub:
A light pastel yellow would brighten the kitchen considerably and yellows make us hungry (according to the 'experts').
Glenn

^^^Agree- a light yellow would be a compliment to a purplish gray, and is a nice, warm "kitchen" color.

Take a look at Whisper Violet 2070-70 or Cloud White OC 130 by Benjamin Moore. The first one is a very very light grey that would complement the purple tone. The other is a pale yellow-toned off-white that would be warmer without being yellow. I worry about a lot of yellow shades because they can be strong. You wouldn't have to get the brand name--they can match anything these days.

I think I'm going to have to agree with ryans442.

Granted, I'm only imagining the colors in your countertops and tile, but I think something along the medium to light grey hue with a very, very discreet touch of blue or slate would work well. The warm, rich colors don't necessarily "close" a room in. Often these rich hues make a room inviting and cozy.

Obviously you don't want the entire room to scream grey, but the white or eggshell shades always seem cold and sterile to me.

Hope this helps.

I think it is better if you apply a light color like blue or white, I guess it really looks good and compatible. You can choose either of them.

Since you have only 2 colors in the kitchen (yellow and purplish-gray), I would recommend you to add a new color to the scheme. The best-looking color schemes have 3 or 4 colors.

My suggestion is sagey-green - it will coordinate beautifully with both your cabinets and countertops/tile. Try Svelte Sage (Sherwin Williams) - it has enough gray in it to work with the countertops/tile, and enough green to complement the yellow of the cabinets.

In modern technology, paint is classified in three major categories because of differing performance requirements: architectural paints, commercial finishes, and industrial coatings. Architectural paints are air-drying materials applied by brush or spray to architectural and structural surfaces and forms for decorative and protective purposes.

As you've said. Your kitchen is small then you must use a light color paint to feel it more spacious. And I agree with them, use a white or off white. Good luck on decorating your home.

Latest posts

Back