refinishing tips PLEASE!!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tophersgirl

Reaction score
okay, so i have wood cabinets that are original to the house and in good condition, i also have a table and chair set my grandma gave me that matches the cabinets wonderfully. The problem is that the table legs and chairs need refinishing. I've been to afraid to do it because, what if the color comes out diffrent and they don't match the cabinets? And how do i refinish the table legs and make sure it still matches the rest of the table? How can i make sure to buy a varnish that matches my cabinets, and how do i know how many coats to put on? Please help!!

You're making the project more difficult than it really is. When I've had to match colors I simply obtained small amounts of varnishes, stains, etc. that I judged were close and applied them to scrap wood for comparison. At this moment, I need to change a section of molding. I stained the original many years ago and don't recall its label. No problem, I'll drop by HD and others to find the closest color that'll match.

okay, so i have wood cabinets that are original to the house and in good condition, i also have a table and chair set my grandma gave me that matches the cabinets wonderfully. The problem is that the table legs and chairs need refinishing. I've been to afraid to do it because, what if the color comes out diffrent and they don't match the cabinets? And how do i refinish the table legs and make sure it still matches the rest of the table? How can i make sure to buy a varnish that matches my cabinets, and how do i know how many coats to put on? Please help!!

Hi Tophersgirl:

It sounds as if you have never done anything like this before. Thats OK. Everyone had to start at some point. What you need to do is to get advice from someone who can see the specific colors you are trying to match and has experience with the different products.

But before you decide what to do, consider these ideas:

1) The best way to have the chairs and table legs match the table top is to also refinish the table top. If you want an exact match (and you should), this is probably the best way

2) There isn't any decorating rule that says the table and chairs have to match the cabinets. I can't remember ever seeing a kitchen where they did, but I never looked for anything like that.

Based on your questions, you should do some basic research on refinishing furniture. This isn't hard. Your local library will have information, you can "Google" the subject and look through the 'how-to' section at your local 'big box' store. Our local Home Depot even had a demonstration on a recent weekend.

After you've thought about (1) and (2), try to find a local paint or woodworking store. My experience is that you can usually get good advice in these places. I don't know how easy that is where you live in North Dakota, but do the best you can. Explain what you want to do and follow their advice. It probably would be helpful to bring along one of the chairs (or table legs) and a door from the cabinets.

Hi Tophersgirl:

It sounds as if you have never done anything like this before. Thats OK. Everyone had to start at some point. What you need to do is to get advice from someone who can see the specific colors you are trying to match and has experience with the different products.

But before you decide what to do, consider these ideas:

1) The best way to have the chairs and table legs match the table top is to also refinish the table top. If you want an exact match (and you should), this is probably the best way

2) There isn't any decorating rule that says the table and chairs have to match the cabinets. I can't remember ever seeing a kitchen where they did, but I never looked for anything like that.

Based on your questions, you should do some basic research on refinishing furniture. This isn't hard. Your local library will have information, you can "Google" the subject and look through the 'how-to' section at your local 'big box' store. Our local Home Depot even had a demonstration on a recent weekend.

After you've thought about (1) and (2), try to find a local paint or woodworking store. My experience is that you can usually get good advice in these places. I don't know how easy that is where you live in North Dakota, but do the best you can. Explain what you want to do and follow their advice. It probably would be helpful to bring along one of the chairs (or table legs) and a door from the cabinets.

Great advice!! I hope you will resolve the problem by using these techniques.

Best Regards,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back