Water leaking from front of window a/c.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
Got a message from a tenant saying this.

She leaks it doesn't seem to be dripping from the back.

I'm going there tomorrow. My plan is to take it out of the wall, clean the filter, take the casing off, clean all the nasty stuff from the inside of the pan, and drill a hole in the back to allow for better drainage, making sure to avoid copper pipes.

if the unit does not tilt a little out the window it will leak

also, if the unit is low on freon, the coil will freeze and drip out the front

if the unit does not tilt a little out the window it will leak

also, if the unit is low on freon, the coil will freeze and drip out the front

Yes, I didn't mention the tilt. I thought that was too obvious. It has been in that window for years so I didn't think that was the problem.

How do I test if it's low on freon? And is this something I can remedy myself?

Yes, I didn't mention the tilt. I thought that was too obvious. It has been in that window for years so I didn't think that was the problem.

How do I test if it's low on freon? And is this something I can remedy myself?

no, i do not think you can do it yourself

The moisture in the air condenses on the coil and will frost up a little and melt off. This is where the water comes from. If its low on freon it keeps building up eventually blocking the coil preventing the air from circulating.. When you first turn it on you can take the filter off and observe the coil frost up and defrost. Some units are supposed to be drip free and don't have a drip hole. The water is supposed to be evaporated by the condenser fan blowing across it.

Normally water leakage problem occurs in window AC when the air filter is dirty, faulty, partially or completely clogged. To overcome this problem, you should clean or change your air filter and check AC refrigerant levels regularly etc.

before you start drilling holes, verify this is not a "Sling Fan" model.

Yes, if the tilt is right, prolly just needs cleaning... a certain level of water inside helps it cool more efficiently... the hot side of the compressor tubing usually runs through the condensate water and the water cools it very quickly and, also, the heat causes the water to evaporate quicker, as well...

Mine was doing something similar, except instead of dripping inside it was slinging condensate out the top fins by picking up water from the bottom "pan" with the fan blades. I didn't think it was low on freon because the evap coils would've frozen to a solid block of ice and then nothing would drip, as well the unit wouldn't cool if this were the case.
I did look inside but it wasn't too dirty, really wasn't hardly any dirt at all.
The pan however was full of water, I could see it, I could also see how the fan was just slicing and dicing through the water with every revolution...
Drilling that little hole solved the problem for me, I used a 1/4" drill bit to make sure it was just big enough so no little piece of dirt would clog it up.

I was amazed there was no hole for the condensate to drain at all...
I did remember it being that way the day I bought it but I didn't think much of it at the time, figured it was intentionally that way by design... Is this how they make these units now? You have to drill the little drain hole yourself?
Still not sure what to think, but it works great now.

Latest posts

Back