Deck staining dilemma

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porchtalk

Reaction score
I built a new deck last fall. Stained it with a high quality product and it looks great. I had to flip three board (yellow-wood) over about a month after I stained it originally. I stained them with the same product/same batch; however, the three boards didn't take stain the same, they are actually very noticeably lighter in color compared to the remaining deck boards. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had that issue.

Dave

Hello Dave:
The flipped boards were exposed to the weather longer than the other side of them, which made them accept the stain differently. Also, the ultra-violet light of the sun had been working on the stain and the new stain will never bleach out to the same color.
A solid color stain or porch and floor enamel will bring it all togather for you. My new deck has grey porch and floor enamel on the floor and white paint on the rest. I think it really looks good.
Glenn

Thanks Glenn. It wouldn't be so bad but the lighter boards are in the most visible location- go figure!
Dave

Back