Bang 4 Buck - Replacing existing wood floor?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NattyBoh

Reaction score
Can you give me your opinion on this:

I'm planning to remodel my kitchen, and what the heck... the whole 1st floor of my house too. I own a 1915 Baltimore rowhouse. The existing hardwood floors are pine and look beautiful from a distance. But in reality, they have been stripped to the max, they squeek, and you can see right through the cracks down to the basement. They have common nails (not hardwood flooring nails) holding them down to the joist to prevent squeeking. This was done by the pervious home owner.

My idea was to install new hardwood flooring (I was thinking brazillian cherry) throughout the entire first floor of my house (about 375 square feet.)

My questions to you:

1) Will I get any bang for my buck? Will potential homebuyers notice that my existing pine floors are old and ragged? Or would they rather see the "original" pine floors that date back to 1915?

2) Is it a bad idea to have hardwood in a kitchen? Some say yes, some say no. What is your opinion? Should I put in new hardwood or tile? I'd like to have hardwood to keep the floorplan continuous.

I plan on selling the house in about 5 years. I'm just trying to plan ahead for what future homebuyers might like.

Thanks in advance for your response.

To do this right is going to be a whole lot of work and money.
The floors need to come out and new Plywood or Advantec subflooring needs to go down before and hardwwod or tile. For tile your going to need at least 1-1/4 of subflooring before the tile goes in and most likly in that old a house there's going to also have to be floor joist added or sister to the old ones due to sag, to long a span and being undersized.
I'm not a big fan of wood floors in a kitchen or bathroom unless I'm being paid to rip them out from water damage.

The way prices are going it is unlikely that you will get your money back.
I like a soft floor in the kitchen...in the hope that dropped things will bounce and not break.
You have a lot of rain, snow and cold weather.
How warm is your kitchen?
Underfloor insulation will make your home a lot more comfortable.

Back