tankless water heater

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dman100-

Reaction score
Hi,

I was interested in any comments on the pros and cons of a gas versus electric tankless water heater.

Is one better than the other? Which performs better and/or is more cost effective? Or, are the equally good in quality, performance and cost?

I live in the Austin, Texas area and have heard the gas tankless water heaters are preferrable, but don't have specifics as to why.

Any recommended brands?

Any approximate cost on the installation? I'm just looking for an approximation, so if the installation say was $1,500, but someone wants to charge $5K then I'll know it is way off base.

Thanks.

They click a lot trying to keep up with demand.

The necessary elec. supply for these is very large. 3 GPM of 120°F water from 50 °F incoming water takes 30 kw, if I didn't make a arith. error.
Online Conversion - Convert just about anything to anything else

With baths it's not bad but with showers you will get cold water on your head occasionally.

A tank heater may lose 50w all the time.

Tankless installed prices in kilobucks
$1.0
$1.0
$1.5
$1.6
$1.7
$1.8
$2.0
$2.0
$2.0
$2.2
$2.3
$2.5
$2.6
$2.7
$2.8
$3.0
$3.1
$4.0

$2.2 =avg
$2.1 =median
half between 1.7 and 2.7

My search terms:
tankless water heater quote price install

Last edited:
I recently moved out an apt. that used an electric tankless water heater, and it never quite worked right. Luckily, the water supply still came through the gas tank heater in the basement, which I had to turn on several times when the tankless unit wasn't working. It quit working twice and required service, and other times it would sporadically give out cold water. On the other hand, my parents new house has two very large electric units and they have no complaints.

you must wait between 8 and 12 seconds to warm up.
At 1 GPM this would be the water contained in 20' of 1/2" ID pipe, but you'd have the same problem with a tank heater.

Back