Cutting Hardiboard Around Door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chb119

Reaction score
So soon I am going to be installing a standard 6ft French door in the back of my garage. The wall is unfinished so I am looking at the studs. The garage was built a number of years and owners ago and had a small garage door big enough for a riding lawn mower, it has since rotted so I removed it.

My question is the original rough opening in the framing was 6ft wide, but the garage door was not that wide so they built it in, I tore it down to the original, but on the outside the hardiboard siding and molding go over the rough opening into the door way. Can I draw a line and use a circular saw to basically cut off about 2 inches Harbiboard and plywood underneath? Is that the proper way to do it or do I need to remove each piece and cut individually?

There is a special blade for hardy but if you are just doing a few cuts like this a couple cheap carbide blades will get you there.

I've heard of blades with teeth ripping apart hardiboard, leaving you with a nasty splintered end. Usually a regular masonry blade would do it, but it wouldn't cut wood all that well.

Is it possible to cut the hardi then switch blades for the wood? More time consuming I know, but it would give you a nicer edge.

I've ruined a few cheap carbide-tipped blades, trying to cut Hardiplank. They became extremely dull in a hurry. But for just 10 ft. or so of cut, maybe it's justified. And don't forget a good mask or respirator, as the dust can kill you.

Thanks for the replys, I'll try the masonaory blade then switch to a wood blade. It's only the height of the door on one side so hopefully it won't be to much trouble. Thanks again.

Have a helper trickle water on the cut while you are doing it and it will knock down the dust.

Back