Install Recirculation Pump

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It needs a return line to the cold intake of the tank with a check valve above it so hot water won't go into the cold for the rest of the house the new line has to be insulated as well as the old line where ever it goes in the house. Most people don't insulate the original hot water thru the house and all estimate of cost to operate go out the window, or into the walls.

I give up................. There is a sensor in the pump that senses hot water, then closes the value and turns off the pump. All it did was pump the cold water laying in the hot water line into the cold water line. So therefore NO Hot water was pumped into the cold water line....

When the hot water reaches the
D'MAND System, a thermal sensor (thermistor) senses a temperature rise and quickly closes
the zone valve while it shuts the pump off. The sophisticated electronic circuitry that does
this is attached to the high-performance pump housing.

The Metlund D'MAND System can utilize the cold water line as a return line or use a
dedicated return line. By using the existing cold water line, it is easy to retrofit existing
homes or businesses. Special plumbing is not needed,
and since the System will not allow for
hot water to cross over to the cold water line, all the cold water fixtures still have cold water

Yup, me too. I would like to hear back once you get it installed and hear how it went.

I give up................. There is a sensor in the pump that senses hot water, then closes the value and turns off the pump. All it did was pump the cold water laying in the hot water line into the cold water line. So therefore NO Hot water was pumped into the cold water line....

When the hot water reaches the
D'MAND System, a thermal sensor (thermistor) senses a temperature rise and quickly closes
the zone valve while it shuts the pump off. The sophisticated electronic circuitry that does
this is attached to the high-performance pump housing.

The Metlund D'MAND System can utilize the cold water line as a return line or use a
dedicated return line. By using the existing cold water line, it is easy to retrofit existing
homes or businesses. Special plumbing is not needed,
and since the System will not allow for
hot water to cross over to the cold water line, all the cold water fixtures still have cold water
I guess my question would be the time factor not the energy savings. If before you had to run i gal. of water down the drain to get hot water, and maybe this took 1 min. Is this pump big enough to pump water fast enough to cut the time factor by 80%?
Now if some one else in the house was using any cold water, the water you are trying to pump back to the heater is going to the person using the cold water, because of the pressure from the supply?
I think for that kind of money i would rather install a recirculating pump, insulate my water lines and then i would have hot water every where real
fast.
If you had a basement i would make it a gravity flow system which needs no pump. I have installed several systems like that. Paul

If you had a basement i would make it a gravity flow system which needs no pump. I have installed several systems like that. Paul

I fully agree with Paul, I did the same thing in Fenton, Michigan years ago for my own house. Worked great (as long as you insulate the pipes) and hot water was instant at every faucet.

The job is complete and the recirculation pump works as advertised. I get up in the morning and press the button and before I can finish taking a leak I have hot water at the faucet. It’s a whole lot faster & no more water going down the drain. It may take a few years for it to pay for itself, but I think it’s worth it. I highly recommend it. :banana:

Back