Toilet size recommendation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toptan

Reaction score
Can someone recommend a toilet that's a full 12" from rough in to the back of tank? Our rough in is approx 12.5" and we've found that most 12" toilets are 1-1.5" less in depth from rough in to back of tank so we get a 2" gap behind our toilet. I'd like to reduce that gap if possible. Does anyone have a toilet suggestion?

Welcome to the forum.

I dont know the answer to your question. The home centers have displays and the boxes show the offset for each. personally i like having an inch or two between the tank and the wall for cleaning and overall look. i just painted the wall behind a close one and wasnt about to lift the toilet so i did the cramming the brush in the gap thing.

The distance between can be a good thing, to close and condensation and you get mold on the wall.

I have to agree that having that little bit of space can actually help. Sure it doesn't look pretty, but if you've ever had to maneuver around to remove the flapper or take apart the flush valve assembly, you will want the extra space.

Currently my favorite toilet is the Toto Drake with SanaGloss. It can flush 900grams and doesn't splash. The drawbacks are that the lever that comes with it has plastic internal parts that break within a few years and its a dual-flush so you have to hold the lever down longer for waste with toilet paper. I installed one in 2008 and had to replace the lever last year, but its only toilet in a house with 3 people (sometimes 4 or 5 when we have family visiting). If you don't have horribly hard water, it is pretty easy to clean and doesn't need to be cleaned quite as often as regular toilets. I do recommend using one of those dish-cleaning sponges on a stick type thing instead of a toilet brush though. The toilet brush can wear down the gloss after awhile.

If you really don't like the look of the gap, you could try putting up some chair rail molding behind it.

It can flush 900grams
Probably 95% of the dry weights of 'lump sum deposits' made by normal size people are smaller than this! :p

And by combining this toilet with a scale we will finally know who is full of it. :D

Last edited:
Probably 95% of the dry weights of 'lump sum deposits' made by normal size people are smaller than this! :p

And by combining this toilet with a scale we will finally know who is full of it. :D

Well, my brother is certainly full of it. :p He's managed to clog the toilet a few times.
It clogged a lot more before we had our septic tank and field lines replaced.

One reason is that he doesn't hold the lever down long enough to do the full flush (also, I didn't find the "sweet spot" on the chain to get it to flush the way it did before I changed the flapper out and dismantled the flush valve assembly to clean it so it would stop constantly running). Another is because the soil pipe is not angled properly and there is something that snags stuff every winter and we have to get it snaked.

I've learned how to use the plunger without making water splash all over the floor. Fortunately it doesn't clog often. It went a few years without clogging at all.

The Drake II is more expensive and has a better bowl wash, but doesn't flush as efficiently because it has a 2.5" drain instead of a 3" drain.

didn't find the "sweet spot" on the chain to get it to flush the way it did before I changed the flapper out and dismantled the flush valve assembly to clean it so it would stop constantly running
It's a hydraulic-mechanical system powered by a 50 PSI/13 GPM power supply and can be pretty difficult to tweak for best performance.

And if your toilet 'groans' for part of the cycle, it is oscillating just like an electronic oscillator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogical_models

Your automatic transmission may have an analog-hydraulic computer controlling it using transmission fluid.

Last edited:
I don't recall any groaning. The flapper drops down too quickly or doesn't raise far enough up unless we hold the lever down longer. I just need to get my hands dirty and mess with the chain some more. Hopefully I will find the right spot via trial and error. And by dirty, I mean literally dirty because I have very hard water and the tank is full of sediment.

What gets me is that you may find the sweet spot and a month later the symptom may return.

Back