Advice on a nail gun set up?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m2244

Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking about getting an air nailer (compressor and finish nailer to start). I am wondering what people suggest for brand, size, oil vs oiless, etc. I would be using this mostly for finish stuff but I guess it would be nice to have a framing nailer as well but I'm not sure how much I would use a framing nailer.

Any advice?

Guys in the field prefer Hitachi angled framing nailer. They are readily available used on Craigslist. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CCXUV/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20.
An alternative (I own this one too) is Porter Cable: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008S9M5Y4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The advantage of a round head framing nailer is you can build walls, nail off plywood, etc. If you are looking to build pretty furniture, do casing or crown molding, you will need a finish nailer. You can buy a Porter Cable combo with compressor at HD for that purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found that a battery powered finish nailer (pin nailer) is more convienent for small/quick jobs.

I also have the Porter Cable FR350, its pretty awesome. They are selling one here on craigslist for $80, i would buy it if i didnt already have one.

I also have the FR350. It's a beast, and has never jammed on me. Be very careful when using one, though--never allow your free hand even close to the projectiles' line of sight, as those nails can ricochet and will blow right through flesh and bone. Just watch the amateurs on some of the TV renovation shows, where they often shoot right at or next to their own hands.

I also have the FR350. It's a beast, and has never jammed on me. Be very careful when using one, though--never allow your free hand even close to the projectiles' line of sight, as those nails can ricochet and will blow right through flesh and bone. Just watch the amateurs on some of the TV renovation shows, where they often shoot right at or next to their own hands.

The pro do it too, the best is when you hit another nail and it gets you a full 6" away.:rolleyes:

I have gotten a couple of excellent older model senco framing nailers and finish nailers on Ebay,,,lucked out and bought an SN70 framing nailer for 60.00,,,drives 3 1/2" nails with ease,,,a couple of SFN-2 finish nailers for 30.00 each,,,,nearly all parts are readily available in case of a breakdown

Back