Broken chainlink fence

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

av0930

Reaction score
Hi. One of my gate posts rotted out. After months of trying to remove the remaining post, I finally got it done with a "cherry picker" and a "come-a-long". Now, this is my problem. The previous owner of my home installed an 8 foot post into the ground for this 4' fence. To remove the remaining post I dug out 2 1/2 feet deep and about a foot in diameter around the post. Now that I have the post out, I was left with a huge crater!! How do I go about installing the new post where it will be solid. I'm afraid that filling the hole back with the dirt I remove and then digging a reasonable hole for the post is not going to work because of the loose dirt. I don't want to fill a 2 1/2 deep and 1 1/2 foot in diameter hole with concrete either. Please, some suggestions would be appreciated.:confused:

Any paticular reason why you don't want to fill it with concrete. Sound like a easy way to do it.

You could pack it with dense grade rock. A foot at a time. Concrete would be quicker and more permanent, and solid as a big old rock.

I vote for both, fill the hole with either dense grade or #56 limestone to about 1' from the top, set the post in that and finish off with bagged concrete. You get a concrete holding, but the rock is much cheaper than concrete. I have had a 20' flagpole in my front yard for 5 or 6 years that is held by #56 limestone, works just fine. #56 is the limestone that's about the size of pea-gravel; don't use pea-gravel though, the round stones will slip around too easy.
Glenn

Back